everlasting-gospels.gif

New Issues-3

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

August 8 - New Issues-3

guide_img.gif

line.gif

As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news. Prov. 25:25.

By 1886 the sides in the oncoming Adventist theological struggle were quite visible. On one hand was G. I. Butler, the General Conference president, and Uriah Smith, secratary of the General Conference. On the other were the two upstart editors from the West-A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner.

It appears that the only leading femaile participant in the conflict sought to remain neutral so that she might work with both sides. But by early 1887 Ellen White began to conclude not only that the younger men were being wrongly treated in an enequal struggle, but that they had something to teach that the Seventh-day Adventist Church desperately needed to hear. Thus by April 1887 she had dedicated herself to makin g sure that Jones and waggoner would get a hearing at the 1888 General Conference session.

In the end it would be Ellen White who would come out the clearest on the real significance of Jones and waggoner's 1888 message. Her major theme would center on a reinterpretation of part of Revelation 14:12: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."

That passage is the central text in Adventist history. It contains the last message God would give to the world before the Second Advent, which is pictured as taking place in verses 14-20.

The interesting thing is that both sides in the Adventist struggle surrounding 1888 would focus on Revelation 14:12. But they would emphasize different parts of the verse. The traditionalists would uplift "the commandments of God," while the reformers stressed "the faith of Jesus." Out of the Minneapolis meetings would flow a new interpretation of Revelation 14:12, one that would forever change the shape of Adventist theology.

Ellen White would suffer for her support of Jones and Waggoner. In December 1888 she would look back at the recently closed General Conference session and declare, "My testimony was ignored, and never in my life. . .was I treated as at the conference"(Lt 7 1888).

Some of us think that in the "good old days" everything went will in the church. Not so! As then, so today. Good people get upset with each other, and need to pray to God for forgiveness.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

And all who would bring forth fruit as workers together with Christ must first fall into the ground and die. The life must be cast into the furrow of the world's need. Self-love, self-interest, must perish. But the law of self-sacrifice is the law of self-preservation. The seed buried in the ground produces fruit, and in turn this is planted. Thus the harvest is multiplied. The husbandman preserves his grain by casting it away. So in human life, to give is to live(COL 86).

line.gif