The African-American Face Of Millerism

January 20  The African-American Face Of Millerism

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. . ., to proclaim release to the captives. . ., [and] to set at liberty those who are oppressed. Luke 4:18, RSV.

Millerism was largely a movement among Northern Whites at a time when most Blacks still lived in the South. Yet we find consistent evidence that African-Americans attended Advent services and camp meetings. By mid-1843 the responsibility to work aggressively among the Black population was becoming more obvious to the Millerite leaders. As a result, Charles Fitch made a successful motion at a major meeting in May "to take up a collection for a laborer to go among our colored brethren." The next day the attendees collected funds to enable John W. Lewis, "a highly esteemed colored preacher," to work full-time "among that much neglected class of our brethren, with whom he is most closely connected."

By February 1844 Himes could report that "many of the colored people have received the doctrine" in Philadelphia. "One of their most efficient ministers has embraced the doctrine in full, and will devote himself wholly to the proclamation of it."

Another Black lecturer who preached the Adent message was William E. Foy, who had several visions beginning on January 18, 1842. Those visions led him to a belief in the soon coming of Jesus, even though, as he put it, "I was opposed to the doctrine of Jesus' near approach" until receiving the visions. Beyond a belief on the soon return of Jesus. Foy wrote that "the duty to declare the things which had thus been shown me, to my fellow creatures, and warn them to flee from the wrath to come, rested with great weight upon my mind."

Foy resisted his convictions for some time, partly becuase the Advent message was "so different from what people expected and partly because of "prejudice among the people against [those] of my color." But in the midst of a prayer of deep distress, he received a definite impression that God would be with him if he shared the message. As a result, he began preaching his new faith.

The message of Advent hope has always found receptive hearts among the oppressed of the world, no matter what their race or culture. It is those who have been building their kingdom on this earth who are hardened to the message. What we need to rememeber is that all of earth's inhabitants are under the slavery of sin and need to be liberated by the One who came to set the captives free. The Advent hope is the dream of freedom for every person eternally.

Christ has given us no promise of help in bearing today the burdens of tomorrow. He has said, "My grace is sufficient for thee" (2 Corinthians 12:9); but, like the manna given in the wilderness, His grace is bestowed daily, for the day's need. Like the hosts of Israel in their pilgrim life, we may find morning by morning the bread of heaven for the day's supply(TFMB 101).