Moses wrote Psalms 90-100

---Who said it? Rabbi Rashi in the Middle Ages.

---Who said Psalm 90 was composed by Moses? Ellen G. White around 1900.

---Now Pieter van der Lugt from the Netherlands published a great investigation of Psalms 90-100, and whether he said it or not, I am saying that his study supplied convincing evidence that the corpus was the product of one man. That man, being Moses.

---Van der Lugt got my attention by his method that overlaps that of the icon of Adventism, William Shea.

--Van der Lugt used the same methodology as Shea in his research, studies, lectures and books.

---Van der Lugt summarized his own approach in 2019: “The rhetorical design

of the main cycle is determined by content and several formal features. The latter

rhetorical means include the use of meaningful numbers like 7, 11, 26, and the

strategic positioning of unique significant vocabulary as guide lexemes.“

---The only thing Van der Lugt need is to stand at the black board or white board and draw columns to show the significant links and he is William Shea.

---William Shea was born in 1932 and he passed away February 15, 2020.

---Those of you who want to meet William Shea, go to Youtube and find William Shea Book of Daniel lecture. Historicism in a nice didactical way.

Source: Online at www.academia.edu.

Pieter van der Lugt, “His Faithfulness is from Generation to Generation (Ps 100:5c): The Coherence of the Eleven Compositions Psalms 90-100,” OTE 32 no. 2 (2019): 606-635. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17159/2312-3621/2019/v32n2a18.

---He is Reformed Calvinistic and I speak under correction here.

---Maybe the main area of our difference will be his method of teaching Biblical Hebrew.

---I do not mean the grammar. I mean the importance one places on the decorations and divisions the Massoretes in the ninth and tenth centuries have placed over the consonantal text of the Masorretic tradition.

---I choose to work only with the consonantal text of the Old Testament and preferably all letters written closer to each other with slight spacing the only dividers. No vowels. No accents. No notations. No lower apparatus for distraction.

---Already Van der Lugt will wave me goodbye.

---When I praise Van der Lugt, it is going to be eclectic Van der Lugt. I will pick what I can use, I will discard which is not relevant.

---I am interested in Van der Lugt’s “Guide lexemes”. The reason is, that if the same author wrote Psalms 90-100, one should be able to see recurring vocabulary and phrases.

---Van der Lugt says: “I will display the linearly alternating design of the sub-cycle in terms of unique recurrent vocabulary that acts as guide lexemes, in alphabetical order.”

---His cycle concepts is his own interpretation of aspects that includes cola divisions, and other Massoretic markers. They are counted and then weighed in the total spectrum of other aspects or similar aspects.

---There is nothing wrong with doing this unless you use only a consonantal text of the Massoretic tradition without vowels. It is a different ball game.

---Source: 608 Van der Lugt, “His Faithfulness,” OTE 32/2 (2019): 606-635 (adapted)

Table I

90 91 92 93 94

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

און evil 10c 8b.10c 4b.16b.23a

אזן 12c 9a

אלהינו our God 17a 14b 23c

בבקרin the morning 5b.6a.14a 3a

בבקר חסדך 14a 3a

בין 7b 7b.8a

בער // וכסיל 7  

חסד mercy 14a 3a 18b

ישר 16a 15b

לב /לבב heart 12b 15b

מחשבה   6b 11a

מעשה 17a+b 5b.6a

יד + מעשה 17a+b 5b

מתי 13 13a 3a+b.8b

מת י עד until when 13a 3a+b

און פעלי evil doers 8b.10c 4b.16b

פעלך your deeds 16a 5a

צדיק righteous one 13a 21a

צוץ 6a 8b

צור rock 16b 22b

רנן shout 14b  5b

שמח 14b.15a 5a

שוב 3a+b.13a 2b.15a.23a

שמע hear 12c 9a

ארך ימים end of days 16a 5c

---Van der Lugt did a great study here.

---I have stripped his cycle allocations and went back to the bare VOCA or vocabulary lexemes of comparison.

---I want the reader to see the connections. That is why.

---You realize the author was writing three Psalms here, Psalm 90, 92 and 94 almost with the same Word-list in front of him.

---It calls for one brain to have compiled it.

---Let us say Moses was the teacher, I imagine now, and he says to his students, I give you the list on the left. Hand in for me your ideas about it. Student 1 gives 90, student 2 gives 92 and student 3 gives 94.

---What about the idea that Moses wrote 90 and asked his students for homework to write 91-100? He gave them the word list and his Psalm 90 as template to follow. I did with my students in Asia. A wonderful technique.

---90-100 is then the Collected Psalms of Moses and his students?

---“Our God“ says Luft is in Psalm 90 and 94 but it is also used in 95:7a, 98:3d, 99:5a.8a.9a+c.” (see Luft).

---“In the morning Your steadfast love is to me” is in Psalms 90 and 92 but Luft says it is also in Psalm 59 “For the expression חסדך בבקר ל \’in the morning your steadfast love’ [is also] in Psalm 59:17b“ (selective citation of Luft).

---“To be right“ is used in a number of Psalms here. Luft listed them: “ישר”) to be right”) occurs in the last line of [ ] Ps 92 it is also the last line of the poem.“ He asked us to see also 96:10c, 97:11b, 98:9d, 99:4b.

---“Heart” Luft says is used in Psalm 90 and Psalm 94 but also in 95:8a.10b and 97:11b.

---“all evildoers” or און פעלי is used, says Luft also in Psalm 92:8b.10c and in Psalm 94: 4b.16b.

---A loner word is the use of “my doing” says Luft. It is only in Psalm 95:9b.

---“The righteous one“ צדיק is in Psalms 92 and 94 but also says Luft in Psalm 97:11a.12a.

---Can you see that the paint the artist of Psalm 90 is using, is dripping and splattering in all the Psalms up to 100?

---“Shout [for joy]” רנן is in Psalm 90 and 92 listed above in Luft’s list but he says it is also in Psalm 95:1a.

---“Rejoice” שמח is in Psalms 90 and 92 but Luft says it is also in Psalms 97:1b.8a.12a and 100:2a.

---There are also other indications that are important but which I will not go into now, that is the special “parking” of a word in a specific location (end of the line) or other features that indicate a close connection between these Psalms and thus also to the one who composed these Psalms.

---The article by Luft has much more to offer than what I am selecting here. I just want to make sure, the reader is convinced that what Ellen White said about Moses in Psalm 90 and that what Rashi said about 90-100 seems to be confirmed by this article of Pieter van der Luft without his intention to do so. Wonderful is it not?