“And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” Matthew 6:12

nullGrowing up in an environment where violence is unwelcome, made me a peace-loving person. As much as possible I avoid conflict with anyone. It would never occur to me to harm or cause trouble to anyone . I don’t like arguments, although I enjoy discussions.

Whenever someone will do me harm or say something bad about me, I just ignore them. I forgive them for the sake of peace and harmony.

I’m not good in confronting people and most of the times I would just let it slip. That’s probably the reason why some people take advantage of my weakness, because they know I won’t fight back. Even when I’m angry, I would not speak and just keep it inside myself and burst into tears. I would just say to myself, “Just let them be and ignore them.”

But when I’ve read these passages from my devotional book, The Faith I Live By, by EGW, it made me think about how I forgive others. Do I really forgive them or I just ignore them because it is more convenient? Do I really seek peace and harmony or I’m just too weak to speak up?

“We are not forgiven because we forgive, but as we forgive. The ground of all forgiveness is found in the unmerited love of God, but by our attitude toward others we show whether we have made that love our won.”- Christ’s Object Lessons, 251

I would sometime reason out that those who wronged me should ask for forgiveness first before I forgive them. In some instances, as long as I don’t see them, we’re ok. Until...

“We should not think that unless those who have injured us confess the wrong we are justified in withholding from them our forgiveness. It is their part, no doubt, to humble their hearts by repentance and confession; but we are to have a spirit of compassion toward those who have trespassed against us, whether or not they confess their faults.” – Thoughts from the Mount of Blessings, 113, 114

Just as the father welcomed back with open arms his prodigal son,  our Heavenly Father is always waiting for us to come back to Him. No “I told you so” but pure love and sympathy.

I pray that God would teach me to truly forgive just as He forgives our waywardness unconditionally.

Jenyveemoticon