Last Generation Theology: Interpretation of Suspicion and Interpretation of Affirmation

Koot van Wyk (DLitt et Phil; ThD) Visiting Professor in the Department of Liberal Education, Kyungpook National University, Sangju Campus, South Korea; Conjoint Research Lecturer at Avondale College, Australia.

LGT is the abbreviation in Adventism for “Last Generation Theology”. Recently, we attended a Campmeeting in South Korea where the ex-President of Sahmyook University pronounced LGT as “wrong”. Shocked by the statement, led me to investigate online since my dealing with the biblical text has assured me that LGT is biblical not pioneer parachuting misgivings.

Two articles are placed here side by side dealing with this topic: the interpretation of suspicion one is that of A. M. Rodriquez who is a retired director of the Biblical Research Institute at the General Conference. It became clear earlier that Rodriquez had problems, when in 2001 he made the strange comments that Vicarius Filii Dei for 666 is no longer accepted in Adventism as proper science in a Sabbath School Book. To counter his claim, Edwin de Kock (2011), a retired history professor studied the topic and came out with a nearly 1000 page book indicating the firm existence of this link in history of both the Catholic Church and the history of Interpretation. Debunking efforts were linked to either not enough data or to trends of liberalistic inroads in Adventism.

The interpretation of affirmation article is that of K. Paulson in 2017 talking about five myths of LGT. Paulson listed five wrong understandings by some in the Adventist church about this theology. Myth No. 1: Last Generation Theology is based on Ellen White rather than the Bible. Myth No. 2: Last Generation Theology contradicts the Bible doctrine of salvation by grace through faith. Myth No. 3: Last Generation Theology teaches that following the close of probation, God’s people will stand on their own power. Myth No. 4: Last Generation Theology teaches that God’s requirements are inconsistent. Myth No. 5: Last Generation Theology is primarily the product of the teachings of A. T. Jones, E. J. Waggoner, and M. L. Andreasen, and has never been part of mainstream Seventh-day Adventist thought.

Added to the articles below, are the comments that readers made as well. When the topic of perfection in characters before Christ comes was dealt with in Andreasen emphasized, a reader suggested to others that a good book on the issue of perfection is George Knight’s book: "I Used to be Perfect”. Immediately another reader discounted dr. Knight’s book: “It does not quote not highlight many of Ellen G.White's statements that requires christians to become perfect. In fact it is the very antithesis of Christ's statement in Mt.5.48. George Knight's view about sin is flawed. He views sin as nature, not a choice. Hence, his perfection as nature follows along with it. If George Knight says "I used to be perfect" I say, “I Used to be imperfect,". I used to be imperfect, but now I am striving to be perfect. And I'm happy in this striving to be perfect. I find striving a healthy activity. Those who do not strive a[re] sickly. Sorry for those who lag behind like George Knight.”

George Knight was maybe perfect as he says but he left the Adventist church in 1966/7 and returned a decade later to become a professor at Andrews University.  He is a divorced scholar and furthermore his colleagues called him a “revisionist scholar”. He says that he is a “Christian first before he is an Adventist” a polarization that is not fair to Adventism. He is correct in one aspect and that is that he is a preterist before he is a historicist. He tends to lace Adventist truths with preterism in order to mystify the subject or blur the content for the audience. At the London Conference in 2017 George Knight said: 1. It is right to rebel against the GC 2015 decision on WO because Paul did it in Corinthians against the decision of Acts 15; 2. G. Knight (2017: 5) real lesson of Acts 15 is one of unity in diversity but he is wrong since if one look at the Acts Sabbath School Quarterly on Acts 1957 page 12 and EGW in the following: “The diversity of gifts leads to a diversity of operations; but ‘it is the same God which worketh all in all.’ “—Ellen White, Testimonies, Vol. 9, pp. 144, 145.; 3. G. Knight 2017: 6 Knight wrote about Adventists as if he is not one: “But a fascinating aspect of the use of those verses is that both the Adventists in their recent documents and the Roman Catholics have misread the text in the same manner for similar ends.” 4. G. Knight 2017: 6 Ordination is not biblical as we know it: “The word ‘ordination’ as Adventists use it is not a biblical teaching but one that finds its roots in the early and earlymedieval church. From that perspective, the distinction between ordaining and commissioning is a word game of no biblical substance.”, well….; 5. G. Knight 2017:  on EGW that we should not think our doctrines are infallible. “as a people we are certainly in great danger, if we are not constantly guarded, of considering our ideas, because long cherished, to be Bible doctrine and in every point infallible, and measuring everyone by the rule of our interpretation of Bible truth. This is our danger, and this would be the greatest evil that could ever come to us as a people.” This statement of Ellen White provided him the blank license to undo many Adventist doctrines and ideas researched thoroughly in the past by Adventist scholars; 6. G. Knight 2017:  showing W White attempt to go his own way against the session: [Take courage rebels!]; 7. Ordination by G. Knight 2017:  Ordination not biblical: “We noted earlier that ordination as practiced by the church is not a biblical issue. But according to Ellen White, it did become an important issue in the history of the early church…” 7. G. Knight 2017: 9  What ordination cannot do: “so it is that the laying on of hands in what has come to be called ordination does not confer power but is symbolic in recognition of the power already conferred by God in the calling and empowerment of a pastor.”; 8. G. Knight 2017: 9  Non-biblical verbal gymnastics currently at GC: “And the Seventh-day Adventist Church has for many years recognized that God calls both men and women to pastoral ministry. The only difference is that the church has opted to call one ordination and the other commissioning. Such non-biblical verbal gymnastics must lead the angels to scratch their heads in bewilderment. However, it all seems to be clear in Adventist policy.” So he is rebelling against the General Conference Vote on the position of Women Ordination. Biblically and theologically it was not considered possible by the GC vote but Knight and his friends wanted to whine about it at this conference in London, trying to ‘kick up dust’ for others to participate in rebellion. Almost was his books taken off the shelves recently at in the Michigan Conference at the ABC stores, see online.

The problem of the entry of liberalism in the church is a very good question. An example from RSA: the DRC or Dutch Reform Church was very conservative in South Africa and many laymen still are. But, what happened is that the many professors in the State Institutions and Seminaries bought into Evolutionism, then pampered and cherished Higher Criticism and then ended with the shift from epistemology to ontology, the shift from epistemology in Modernism 1910-1960, to ontology in Post-Modernism from 1960-1989 (see K. van Wyk, “Critical Evaluation of a Smartphone Movie project ……... STEM 16(1) 2015: 215ff.) with the reference to B. McHale 2007 with the article: “What was Post-Modernism?” One can see in Canale’s article on “Emergent Church” in ATS Journal last paragraph he is asking exactly this question whether there is a shift from epistemology as authority to ontology as authority in Adventism. Thanks professor Canale!

I have written before about the two main streams in philosophy: Platonism and Aristotelianism. Plato is shown by Raphael (1508) in the ‘School of Athens’ painting in the Cistine Chapel at the Vatican to point upwards because reality is in heaven and not in ourselves. Aristotle is pointing down because reality is here on earth and nowhere else. Liberalism is a shift in paradigm from biblical revelatory truth and reality coming from the outside, to an Aristotelian cultural interpretation of the scriptures so much so that it is just a product of man. Because the bible is constructed with culture therefore, these Woman Ordination adherents are saying modern culture can upturn the tide of the Biblical Text. Culture over Revelation is Aristotle’s way and Revelation over Culture is Plato’s way. Plato is epistemologically inclined (mind-living = ‘let’s do it God’s way’) and Aristotle is ontologically inclined (existence-living = “I do it my way’).

Essay one: Interpretation of Suspicion

Angel Manuel Rodríguez, “Theology of the Last Generation” Adventist Review October 20, 2013. Online accessed 7th of August 2017 at http://www.adventistreview.org/2013-1528-p42.

[retired, was director of the Biblical Research Institute, General Conference]

The theology of the last generation was developed and popularized in the Adventist Church by M. L. Andreasen (The Sanctuary Service [Washington, D.C.: Review and Herald Pub. Assn., 1937; revised 1947]). Andreasen was building on insights from A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner. This theology introduced a strong element of legalism in some sectors of the church by claiming that the character of God, maligned by Satan in the cosmic conflict, will be vindicated through the holy and perfect life of obedience of the last generation of believers. This generation will reach a level of character development unequaled in Christian history, copying perfectly in their lives what God did in Christ. Once this happens, the Lord will return. This theology seeks to explain why the Lord has not returned and the nature and purpose of Christian perfection. It is based primarily on a particular reading of the writings of Ellen G. White.

Christ and the Vindication of God: In the Bible and the writings of Ellen G. White the cosmic vindication of God is the exclusive result of the sacrificial death of Christ. He was the only one who could reveal who God is and therefore vindicate Him in the cosmic conflict (John 1:18). White is also very clear: “By His life and His death, Christ proved that God’s justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan’s charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love.”1 What Christ accomplished does not need to be supplemented; it is more than enough.

Christian Perfection: God’s will for His people has always been the same: Victory over the enslaving power of sin in their lives (Rom. 6:11-14;  8:5-8). Christ has always been the model for the Christian life. But true Christian perfection cannot be separated from the eternal efficacy of the cross and our constant reliance on its forgiving power (1 John 2:1, 2). Christian perfection is a constant growth in grace accompanied by a constant reliance on God’s forgiving grace. Notice how precise Ellen G. White is on this important theological topic: “As the penitent sinner, contrite before God, discerns Christ’s atonement in his behalf, and accepts this atonement as his only hope in this life and the future life, his sins are pardoned. This is justification by faith. Every believing soul is to conform his will entirely to God’s will, and keep in a state of repentance and  contrition, exercising faith in the atoning merits of the Redeemer and advancing from strength to strength, from glory to glory.”2 We will perfectly reproduce the character of Christ in our lives through growth in grace and by absolutely relying every day in Christ’s forgiving grace.

Safety in Heaven: Although it would be possible for sin to arise again in heaven, this will never happen in actuality. The reason is not found in the unique experience of the last generation of believers but in the work of Christ on the cross. He, through the cross, reconciled the whole cosmos to God in a permanent bond of union (Col. 1:19, 20). Again, White is powerfully clear: “The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan”3 The perfection of creatures is not powerful enough to hold the cosmos together. Praise God for Christ!

Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages (Mountain View, Calif.: Pacific Press Pub. Assn., 1898), p. 762. (Italics supplied.)

The Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, Ellen G. White Comments, vol. 6, p. 1070. (Italics supplied.)

Ellen G. White, “What Was Secured by the Death of Christ,” Signs of the Times, Dec. 30, 1889.

Readers Comments

Neale • 4 years ago

Bro. Rodriguez attempts to muddy the waters on this issue by name calling/labelling as legalism before he actually makes an argument. I pray that  each of us would prayerfully consider texts such as Heb. 11:39 - 12:4, 2 Pet. 1:2-12, and 1 John 3:1-9 before buying the theories being sold by Bro.  Rodriguez. Better to buy, before it is too late (see Matt. 25:1-13), what is being sold by Jesus to the Laodicean church (Rev. 3:14-22). You might also consider reading Ministry of Healing page 180 ("... Christ came to make us 'partakers of the divine nature,' and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin."). And consider this quote from the Testimony of Jesus: "Satan declared that it was impossible for the sons and daughters of Adam to keep the law of God, and thus charged upon God a lack of wisdom and love. If they could not keep the law, then there was fault with the Lawgiver. Men who are under the control of Satan repeat these accusations against God, in asserting that men cannot keep the law of God. ... Through the victory of Christ the same advantages that He had are provided for man; for he may be a partaker of a power out of and above himself, even a partaker of the divine nature, by which he may overcome the corruption that is in the world through lust."  (Signs of the Times, January 16, 1896). As for the last generation issue, consider 1 Cor. 10:11. Considering that verse, Sis. White says that "The prophets of God spoke less for their own time than for the ages to come, especially for the generation that would live amid the last scenes of this earth's history...." (Signs of the Times, January 13, 1898). May God help us to rely upon His Word and the Holy Spirit inspired writings of the Spirit of Prophecy, rather than upon the writings of men and "books of a new order" that God foretold would be written.

•Reply•Share ›

Patrick Mbokodi • 2 years ago

Is it really possible for man not to sin if that man is in Jesus Christ? Take one commandment - the Sabbath for a practical example. I personally started to 'keep the Seventh Day holy' in the year 1965. I was very meticulous. I forfeited jobs. I did not attend funerals- even of my closest relatives! I did not attend weddings. I was baptised by immersion in water. I accepted Jesus as my Saviour. However I was not happy about my observance and keeping the seventh day holy. My thoughts for example. I have had to repent at the close of every Sabbath Day, realising I had failed to meet the required standard. Of course the same applies to all the other commandments. My thoughts always get the better of me. So can someone tell me exactly how they stop sinning when they have accepted Jesus as their Saviour?

•Reply•Share ›

Christoper  Patrick Mbokodi • a year ago

Galatians 5:16 and Romans 8:4 bro. May these helpful

•Reply•Share ›

Greg Bratcher • 3 years ago

Amen. When our focus becomes our own Righteousness rather than His Righteousness, we are merely following the Pharisees. We all fall short, as did

Paul, Peter and John. Let us believe the same gospel they taught and believed.

I recommend the book, "I Used to be Perfect" by Dr. George Knight.

•Reply•Share ›

Zerksepraga Desideriius  Greg Bratcher • a month ago

I do not recommend that book, "I Used to be Perfect." It does not quote not highlight many of Ellen G.White's statements that requires christians to become perfect. In fact it is the very antithesis of Christ's statement in Mt.5.48. George Knight's view about sin is flawed. He views sin as nature, not a choice. Hence, his perfection as nature follows along with it. If George Knight says "I used to be perfect" I say, I Used to be imperfect,". I used to be imperfect, but now I am striving to be perfect. And I'm happy in this striving to be perfect. I find striving a healthy activity. Those who do not strive a sickly. Sorry for those who lag behind like George Knight.

•Reply•Share ›

Karl Wagner • 3 years ago

Thank you Angel for tackling such a thorny topic. If the last generation is saved by anything more than past geneations, then we have "another gospel' and that cannot be. Ellen White's concepts of perfection were Christian character perfection, not this ultimate sinlessness, or having arrived. M L Andreasen took her statements with some Jones and Waggoner statements and systemized them into a new system of Last Generation  Perfection (see Andreasen's Sanctuary Service, chapter: The Last Generation). This "invented" doctrine has caused a lot of navel gazing among us and  interupts the giving of the real gospel of salvation in the last days-the three angels messages.

•Reply•Share ›

Zerksepraga Desideriius  Karl Wagner • a month ago

Do you really understand what three angels message is all about? And have you read in its entirety Andreasen's letters? Hear and other side. I doubt if you read A.T. Jones' Studies in Galatians, and E.J. Waggoner's Glad Tidings, along with their other 1888 presentations about the righteousness of  Christ. Have you known the compromise of our church with Evangelicals during 1956 with that fox Walter R. Martin who says that the Law cannot be kept? And who says that God's Law cannot be kept? God's people have perfectly kept them. It does not matter if in the past they may have failed.  What mattered to God is that after their repentance, they walk steadfastly and are trustworthy, and in the end, they died faithful/steadfast, that is, perfectly immovable in their own righteousness.

•Reply•Share ›

Christoper • a year ago

The unlocking key is in the justification by faith.

Why we reject this doctrine? It is because we do not fully understand the gospel yet. Of course it would not be happened when we use our sinful flesh. But the LORD said: the just shall live by faith. By faith in Him. By His power which worketh in us. In us who believe in His power.

•Reply•Share ›

Zerksepraga Desideriius  Christoper • a month ago

The just shall live by faith, -his faith, the faith that is in that just man. It is not "faith in Him." The Hebrew word is "EMUNAH" (literally, firmness). God expects that firmness to be lived in the righteous themselves so that they will survive any catastrophe. "The righteous, by his firmness, he can survive" (Hab.2.4).

•Reply•Share ›

TC • a year ago

In my humble opinion, the LG theology is difficult to settle conclusively. Firstly we do not know if this or the next generation is the LG. Secondly, the LG theology by definition precludes any precedents that we might hold up to do some character analytics. Discuss it as an interesting topic by all means. But don't be too sure. And don't let it become a polarising point.

•Reply•Share ›

Trine • 2 years ago

Revelation 14:3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the

four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the

hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

4 These

are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These

are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were

redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God. (He will wash the last people, it is not their acts but believe of Christ that will make them without fault; if you do not not believe that God ALMIGHTY can cleanse us now, how can you believe he can later? For God nothing is imposible.) :)

•Reply•Share ›

Ezekiel • 2 years ago

While I have deep respect for Rodriguez, I feel more could be done in his analysis of ML Andreasen and Ellen White on this topic. Paul M. Evan has done extensive study on this topic for years. I found his analysis more comprehensive. You might check it out: "Ellen White's Views Regarding the Final Generation: Is She in Andreasen's Camp?"

P

•Reply•Share ›

Norman Robinson • 3 years ago

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Bro Rodriguez is an official representative of Laodicea and as we know from the book of Revelation out of Laodicea comes forth nothing but error..

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

•Reply•Share ›

Bill  Norman Robinson • 2 years ago

Both people who focus on their behavior as their perfection and those who deny the reality of perfection miss the point. Jesus living in us IS our perfection. He will recreate His perfect nature within us as He lives within us. But if we are focusing on our performance or behavior we are not looking at Jesus. We are not developing a relationship with Him, whom to know is eternal life, but with our performance evaluation.

•Reply•Share ›

AL Bill • 2 years ago

The question still stands, what's the hold up? Why hasn't Christ returned at some point over the last 171 years? If it's not because His character is not yet "perfectly reproduced in His people" (COL 69), then what?

•Reply•Share ›

Bill  AL • 2 years ago

I believe that the reason we have not perfectly reproduced Christ's character is that we are so trying to perform instead of letting Christ live out His perfect life within us. Trying to do God's work for Him always blocks Him from doing that work. If we truly took God at His word we would be different people because He would make us different people. Trying to make ourselves different never works, anymore than a leopard changing his spots. I John 1:9&10 and Ezekiel 36:25 to 27 clearly show that God would take responsibility from cleansing us from sin and creating healthy souls which would behave in healthy ways, if we would just stop trying to do that ourselves.

•Reply•Share ›

Roger  Bill • 2 years ago

Amen

•Reply•Share ›

Patrick Mbokodi  Bill • 2 years ago

So can I conclude from your statements that our behavior and performance do not count?

•Reply•Share ›

Bill  Patrick Mbokodi • 2 years ago

I'm sorry this is so slow. I lost my password. From your previous post I see that you have personally experienced the frustration of trying to perform well enough to measure up. No joy, just repentance for a job badly done. That is what Paul described in Romans 7 as the Law killing him.

Behavior and performance only count for salvation if we are under the law. But being under the law also leaves us under the dominion of sin (Romans 6). Christ is the end of the law for righteousness (Romans 10), not the end of the law, just the end of the law as a means of obtaining  righteousness.

If we take Jesus' words at face value, "He who believes has eternal life," and "This is the work God wants you to do, to believe in the One He has sent," (John 6) then our work is not performance of the law but believing in Jesus as our savior. We are not called to fight the fight of sin, but the fight of faith. It's often hard to believe that it is enough to believe Jesus came to save us from our sins, especially when we feel SO GUILTY about our lives, but that's what Jesus said.

As far as our perfection, when Jesus lives in us through His Spirit we will have His perfection within us. We won't be perfect at expressing it, anymore than a baby is perfect the first time he tries to walk, but we will be perfect in our hearts, which is what counts.

Behavior does count, just as a parent would be devastated if their child smoked and got lung cancer. The behavior and its effects are hateful, but don't end the relationship.

•Reply•Share ›

Gladstone  Bill • 9 months ago

So how does one compare or contrast your comments with this... But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ,  no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ's righteousness while practicing known sins, or neglecting known duties. God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience,  through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. {1Selected Messages 366.1}.

and this... James writes of Abraham and says, "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2:21-24). In order for man to be justified by faith, faith must reach a point where it will control the affections and impulses of the heart; and it is by obedience that faith itself is made perfect. {1Selected Messages 366.2}?

Essay two: Interpretation of Affirmation

Kevin Paulson, “Five Popular Myths about Last Generation Theology,” May 21, 2017. Online accessed on the 7th of August 2017 at http://advindicate.com/articles/2017/5/21/five-popular-myths-about-last-generation-theology

In certain circles of contemporary Adventism, what has come to be known in recent years as Last Generation Theology has become an epithet. Punctuated with quotation marks, dismissive scorn, and the taint of implied extremism, this belief is noted by certain ones as an example of a  thought system which Biblically informed, theologically mature, and spiritually balanced Adventists should rightfully shun.

But critics of this doctrinal construct have built around it a cluster of assumptions which evidence suggests should rightly be called myths. These notions merit examination both careful and succinct:

Myth No. 1: Last Generation Theology is based on Ellen White rather than the Bible.

In reality, Last Generation Theology is a theme found throughout the Bible. Both Old and New Testaments speak of a time when God’s glory—identified  as His character (Ex. 33:18-19; 34:6-7; Rom. 3:23)—will be revealed to the world (Num. 14:21; Isa. 40:5), and that this revelation will occur  through God’s people (Isa. 60:1-2; Rom. 8:18-19; II Cor. 3:18; Eph. 3:16-21; 5:25-27; Phil. 1:11). This helps us better understand the first angel ’s message of Revelation 14, in which humanity is exhorted to “fear God and give glory to Him” (verse 7).

The Old Testament introduces the concept of a faithful remnant at the end of time whose lives will be free from sin through God’s transforming grace. The prophet Zephaniah foretells this demonstration in the following verse:

The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies, neither shall a deceitful tongue by found in their mouth; for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid (Zeph. 3:13).

The concept of total sanctification as a prerequisite for the return of Jesus is found in a number of New Testament passages:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (I Thess. 5:23).

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? . .  .Wherefore, brethren, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless (II Peter 3:11 -12,14).

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And every man that hath this hope in Him purifieth himself, even as He is pure (I John 3:2-3).

The last two of the above passages are especially clear in noting that the total removal of sin from the Christian life is to occur in advance of  the second coming, not when the second coming takes place. This is why Peter urges the Christian to “hasten” the coming of Jesus by means of the practical holiness being described (II Peter 3:12), and why he urges believers to be “found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless” (verse  14). Notice how it is necessary to be “found” in this condition when Jesus comes, which means this preparation must be complete before He appears.

The same is true with the passage from First John. It is those who have the “hope” of Jesus’ coming who will purify themselves “even as He is pure” (I John 3:3). This means the purification being described is both a case of divine-human cooperation and something to be accomplished while we still have the hope of His coming. When He appears in the clouds, Jesus’ return is no longer a hope, but a reality. It is while His coming is our hope that we must claim His power to purify our lives of sin, “even as He is pure.”

And echoing the prophet Zephaniah, John the Revelator declares regarding those who will be translated without seeing death at the coming of Jesus:

And in their mouth was found no guile, for they are without fault before the throne of God (Rev. 14:5).

Ellen White, therefore, marches in lockstep with Scripture when she writes:

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in  His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. It is the privilege of the Christian not only to look for but to hasten the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (II Peter 3:12, margin) (1).

Myth No. 2: Last Generation Theology contradicts the Bible doctrine of salvation by grace through faith.

Biblical salvation is first and foremost about being saved from sin (Matt. 1:21), not about the mere providing of a ticket to heaven. This salvation  from sin, accomplished by divine grace through faith, includes both forgiveness for past sins (Rom. 3:24; Eph. 1:7) and the regeneration and  sanctification accomplished in Christian lives through the Holy Spirit (II Thess. 2:13; Titus 3:5). This transformation through the Spirit is contrasted by the apostle Paul with the self-generated works which can save no one (Titus 3:5).

This is a point often missed by those who endeavor to teach the Bible doctrine of salvation by grace through faith. They assume that when the Bible  says we are not saved by works (Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16; Eph. 2:8-9), that it is speaking of anything human beings do under any and all  circumstances, including what is done through the power bestowed at conversion. But this is not what the Bible teaches. Not only does Titus 3:5 draw a contrast between “works of righteousness which we have done” with “the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost,” the apostle  Paul is also clear that the “works of the law” which do not justify the Christian are in fact the works of self apart from Christ (Rom. 2:17-23;  Eph. 2:8), not the Spirit-empowered obedience made possible through conversion. This Spirit-empowered obedience, in fact, is described by Paul as a condition of salvation:

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die; but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Rom. 8:13).

If Biblical sanctification through the Holy Spirit is in fact a part of salvation (II Thess. 2:13), and if—as we have seen—this sanctification must  be complete in advance of the coming of Christ (I Thess. 5:23), then it is clear from the Bible that salvation by grace through faith is definitionally the same as Last Generation Theology. Righteousness by faith, as identified in Scripture, is never identified as forgiveness (or justification) alone. The living out of this righteousness through practical godliness, made possible through imparted divine strength (Phil. 2:12- 13), is also a part of Biblical righteousness by faith. The numerous practical examples of righteousness lived by faith in Hebrews chapter 11 give evidence of this reality.

Myth No. 3: Last Generation Theology teaches that following the close of probation, God’s people will stand on their own power.

Where this assumption got started, one is permitted to guess. To the present writer’s knowledge, no one at any time in Adventist history who has taught Last Generation Theology has ever taught that the saints at any time, after the close of probation or otherwise, will stand on their own power. The only thing the saints will stand without during the period following probation’s close is the continuous availability of forgiveness. Their past sins will be forgiven, but as they have achieved through divine power the total conquest of sin in their lives (Zeph. 3:13; I Thess. 5:23; II Peter 3:10-14; I John 3:2-3; Rev. 14:5), the Mediator’s work in the heavenly sanctuary can in fact be brought to a close.

The Bible describes the close of the Mediator’s work in heaven with the following pronouncement, given as probation is about to cease:

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still; and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still; and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still;  and he that is holy, let him be holy still (Rev. 22:11).

Ellen White, echoing this passage, describes the spiritual condition of God’s people who will pass through this time:

I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully. . . .  I saw that none could share the ‘refreshing’ (latter rain) unless they obtain the victory over every besetment, over pride, selfishness, love of the world, and over every wrong word and action (2).

Are we seeking for His fullness, ever pressing toward the mark set before us—the perfection of His character? When the Lord’s people reach this mark, they will be sealed in their foreheads. Filled with His Spirit, they will be complete in Christ, and the recording angel will declare, “It is finished” (3).

Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above, are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator. Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while  the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among  God’s people upon the earth. . . .When this work shall have been accomplished, the followers of Christ will be ready for His appearing (4).

But standing without a Mediator isn’t the same as standing without divine power. The work of a mediator is to resolve differences. When Chrysler and the United Auto Workers get along fine, no government mediator is summoned. Differences between God and humanity are called sins. No sin committed, no Mediator needed, in other words. But Ellen White is clear that “our sanctification is the work of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” (5). No competition exists among the Members of the Godhead regarding salvation. All are involved in each step of the process. The perfectly victorious believer needs Christ every bit as much as one who falls into sin. The only difference is that the one falling into sin needs both forgiving and empowering righteousness, while the one who has gained the victory needs empowering righteousness only. But one way or the other, it is all Christ's righteousness. It is never any of our own. 

Myth No. 4: Last Generation Theology teaches that God’s requirements are inconsistent.

First of all, it is a fact of sacred history that succeeding generations receive greater divine light than former ones, and thus greater spiritual responsibility. Proverbs 4:18 observes that “the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.” In  the parable of the sower Jesus describes the seed falling on good ground as achieving different levels of growth, “some an hundredfold, some  sixtyfold, some thirtyfold” (Matt. 13:8)—all among the saved. Elsewhere Jesus declared:

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask for more (Luke 12:48).

Ellen White is clear, of course, that the condition of eternal life in every age has always been what it first was in Eden—perfect obedience to the  law of God (6). But since our loving God winks at the times of our ignorance (Acts 17:30), and says that “to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin” (James 4:17), we must conclude that the perfect obedience God requires is in proportion to the volume of light and truth revealed. This is why Ellen White speaks of the atonement of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary as including mediation for sins of ignorance:

The minds of all who embrace this message are directed to the most holy place, where Jesus stands before the ark, making His final intercession for all those for whom mercy still lingers and for those who have ignorantly broken the law of God. This atonement is made for the righteous dead as well as for the righteous living. It includes all who died trusting in Christ, but who, not having received the light upon God’s commandments, had sinned ignorantly in transgressing its precepts (7).

Ellen White is clear that different generations throughout history have been accountable for different levels of light and truth, in contrast with history’s final generation:

We are accountable for the privileges that we enjoy, and for the light that shines upon our pathway. Those who lived in past generations were accountable for the light which was permitted to shine upon them. Their minds were exercised in regard to different points of Scripture which tested them. But they did not understand the truths which we do. They were not responsible for the light which they did not have. They had the Bible, as we have, but the time for the unfolding of special truth in relation to the closing scenes of this earth’s history, is during the last generations that shall live upon the earth. Special truths have been adapted to the conditions of the generations as they have existed. The present truth, which is a test to the people of this generation, was not a test to the people of generations far back. . . .We are accountable only for the light that shines upon us (8).

History’s final generation, which will pass through the great time of trouble following probation’s close, will have a unique experience. “In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor” (9). Fully aware of the whole counsel of God—or at  least that which is essential for the total conquest of sin—by His grace they will now live accordingly. All ignorant sin in their lives will before that time have been revealed and conquered, for the Mediator will no longer be available to make atonement for sin, whether ignorant or otherwise. For this reason Ellen White declares that at the second coming, “the Refiner does not then sit to pursue His refining process and remove their sins and their corruption. This is all to be done in these hours of probation” (10).

In past ages God could use someone like Martin Luther, a beer-drinking anti-Semite whose hatred of Jews would later be celebrated by the Nazis (11).  But in the final hours of the controversy with evil, God seeks a higher attainment from those who would serve Him. Few in the present discussion would likely disagree here. (Some of our more worldly members might not see a problem with beer-drinking, but I doubt even they would want an anti- Semite teaching at one of our colleges or universities!)                  

In sum, God’s requirements are not inconsistent; perfect obedience has always been required through God’s enabling grace. But as God is infinitely fair in His expectations, human beings are required to adhere only to that level of light and truth of which they are aware (Acts 17:30; James  4:17), with sins of ignorance covered by the heavenly Mediator (12). However, greater light and truth does mean greater accountability (Prov. 4:18;  Matt. 13:8; Luke 12:48), which means the last generation of believers will be in possession of the highest volume of light in human history, and  thus the highest level of accountability. But none need despair, for as the servant of the Lord maintains regarding God’s requirements: “All His  biddings are enablings” (13).

Myth No. 5: Last Generation Theology is primarily the product of the teachings of A. T. Jones, E. J. Waggoner, and M. L. Andreasen, and has never been part of mainstream Seventh-day Adventist thought.

In fact, what in contemporary times has come to be known as Last Generation Theology is a theme deeply embedded in the theological DNA ofclassic  Seventh-day Adventism, stretching back to the origin of our denomination. Such early Adventist luminaries as Joseph Bates (14), James White (15), Stephen Haskell (16), D.T. Bordeau (17), and W.W. Prescott (18) presented key aspects of this theology in their preaching and writing. Much of this  has been documented by the late Herbert Douglass in his book Why Jesus Waits (19). An even longer list of Adventist notables in support of this  theology is documented by Douglass in his later book A Fork in the Road (20).

In later years, such prominent Adventist thinkers as W.H. Branson (21), who served as president of the General Conference from 1950 to 1954; Herbert  E. Douglass (22), C. Mervyn Maxwell (23), Dennis E. Priebe (24), and J.R. Zurcher (25) have made these teachings a centerpiece of their ministry.  Zurcher’s 1999 book Touched With Our Feelings (26), as well as Ralph Larson’s The Word Was Made Flesh (27), have demonstrated the pervasiveness— throughout a century of Adventist history—of the post-Fall view of Christ’s human nature, a key component of Last Generation Theology.                                  

The late General Conference President Robert H. Pierson, who served in that position from 1966 to 1978, was likewise a strong advocate of this view,  writing at one point:

God’s last-generation people are to reveal the character of Jesus to the world. They will overcome as He overcame. They will be victorious, living  representatives of the Master. The enabling power to live this life, to achieve this character, comes from Jesus. Only through His imputed and  imparted righteousness can we prevail (28).

More recently, Elder Ted N.C. Wilson, elected as General Conference President in June 2010, gave prominent attention in his inaugural sermon to the  Ellen White statement noted earlier from Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 69, and to another statement in Steps to Christ, p. 63, which declares—in  contravention of much that is presently taught concerning the gospel in some circles of contemporary Adventism—that the ground of the Christian’s  salvation includes both justification and sanctification (29). In a message to General Conference workers following the Atlanta session, Wilson  declared: “The belief that Christians cannot ‘hasten or delay’ the Second Coming is a misconception” (30). Later, at the 2014 Annual Council,  Wilson again stressed a key theme of Last Generation Theology by underscoring the need to confess and forsake sin in preparation for standing  without a Mediator after the close of probation (31).

The following year, at a meeting of the Adventist Theological Society, Wilson was asked, “What do you think of ‘last generation theology’?”  (32). While phrasing his answer so as to avoid letting this term be defined by others, as well as eschewing any notion of perfection being  accomplished by one’s own strength (33), Wilson replied with unmistakable clarity:

Leaning completely upon Christ and His righteousness, we need to believe that Christ will give us victory over sin through His power and not our own  power (Phil 4:13; Romans 12:1,2). Otherwise, Christianity has no power. Philippians 2:5 tells us, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ  Jesus.” . . . As we consecrate ourselves to Christ and allow Him to work in us to stay close to Him and His Word, we can then realize that  beautiful quotation from Christ’s Object Lessons: “Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the  character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own” (p. 69) (34).

It is easy to understand how, after surveying over a century’s worth of Adventist literature, Anglican scholar Geoffrey Paxton could write in 1977:  “The doctrine of the perfecting of the final generation stands near the heart of Adventist theology” (35).  In this same context, Paxton declares  that to his knowledge it would be impossible to find support for the anti-perfection viewpoint in pre-1950 Adventism (36). Two more recent  historians—one a former Adventist, the other from an Adventist background but who was never baptized—are equally emphatic on this point:

If Christ had an unfair advantage, how could individuals be expected to follow his example in living a perfect life? The problem was particularly  acute since perfection had been suggested by Ellen White as the goal of the Adventist people: “While our great High Priest is making the atonement  for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ.” Her call to perfection was urgent: “Jesus does not change the character at His coming. The  work of transformation must be done now.” . . . Prior to Heppenstall, no important Adventist writer denied the possibility of perfection. Ellen  White had been unequivocal: “As the Son of Man was perfect in His life, so His followers are to be perfect in their life” (37).

Thus, without in any way wishing to denigrate the massive contributions to Adventist thought made by A.T. Jones, E.J. Waggoner, and M.L. Andreasen,  these men cannot rightfully bear responsibility for introducing the church to the concept many today know as Last Generation Theology. Many who cite  these three men as the alleged principal sources of this doctrine give evidence of doing so as a means of implying that this teaching is, and has  been, primarily the preserve of persons who, for whatever reason, have found themselves disgruntled and marginalized within the Adventist family.

But as our study has shown, the facts say otherwise. Whatever one’s objections to Last Generation Theology might be, this teaching cannot be  dismissed as the product of fringe dwellers so far as Adventist thought and history are concerned. Quite to the contrary, its principal tenets—and  the substantial support they find in Scripture and the writings of the Spirit of Prophecy—have been part of the Adventist consensus for most of the  church’s corporate experience.

References

1. Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 69.

2. ----Early Writings, p. 71.

3. ----SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1118.

4. ----The Great Controversy, p. 425.

5. ----SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 7, p. 908.

6. ----Steps to Christ, p. 62; Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, p. 76; Selected Messages, vol. 1, p. 381.

7. ----Early Writings, p. 254.

8. ----Testimonies, vol. 2, pp. 692-693.

9. ----The Great Controversy, p. 614.

10. ----Testimonies, vol. 2, p. 355.

11. See William L. Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1960), pp. 91,236.

12. White, Early Writings, p. 254.

13. ----Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 333.

14. Joseph Bates, “Midnight Cry in the Past,” Review and Herald, December 1858, p. 21.

15. James White, Review and Herald, Jan. 29, 1857; Life Sketches of James White and Ellen G. White, p. 431.

16. Stephen N. Haskell, “A Few Thoughts on the Philadelphia and Laodicean Churches,” Review and Herald, Nov. 6, 1856, p. 6.

17. D.T. Bordeau, “Sanctification: or Living Holiness,” Review and Herald, Aug. 2, 1864.

18. W.W. Prescott, “The Gospel Message for Today,” General Conference Bulletin, April 2, 1903, pp. 53,54.

19. Herbert E. Douglass, Why Jesus Waits: How the Sanctuary Doctrine Explains the Mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (Washington, D.C:  Review and Herald Publishing Assn, 1976), pp. 47-49.

20. ----A Fork in the Road: Questions on Doctrine: The Historic Adventist Divide of 1957 (Coldwater, MI: Remnant Publications, 2008), p. 19. Leading  Adventist proponents of Last Generation Theology referenced here include C.P. Bollman, C. Lester Bond, F.G. Clifford, J.B. Conley, Gwynne Dalrymple,  A.G. Daniels, Christian Edwardson, I.H. Evans, T.M. French, Fenton Edwin Froom, J.E. Fulton, E.F. Hackman, Carlyle B. Haynes, Benjamin Hoffman, W.E.  Howell, Varner Johns, M.E. Kern, D. H. Kress, Frederick Lee, Meade MacGuire, J.L. McElhany, J.A. McMillan, Merlin Neff, Don F. Neufeld, A.V. Olson,  W.E. Read, G.W. Reaser, H.L. Rudy, E.K. Slade, Uriah Smith, C.M. Snow, J.C. Stevens, Oscar Tait, G.B. Thompson, A.W. Truman, Allen Walker, F.M.  Wilcox, L.A. Wilcox, M.C. Wilcox, William Wirth, L.H. Wood, and Dallas Young.

21. W.H. Branson, Drama of the Ages (Washington, D.C: Review and Herald Publishing Assn, 1950), pp. 155-161.

22. Douglass, “Men of Faith: The Showcase of God’s Grace,” Perfection: The Impossible Possibility (Nashville, TN: Southern Publishing Assn,  1975), pp. 13-56; Why Jesus Waits: How the Sanctuary Doctrine Explains the Mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (Washington, D.C: Review and  Herald Publishing Assn, 1976); Jesus—The Benchmark of Humanity (With Leo Van Dolson) (Nashville, TN: Southern Publishing Assn, 1977); The End:  Unique Voice of Adventists About the Return of Jesus (Mountain View, CA: Pacific Press Publishing Assn, 1979); The Heartbeat of Adventism: The Great  Controversy Theme in the Writings of Ellen G. White (Boise, ID: Pacific Press Publishing Assn, 2010).

23. C. Mervyn Maxwell, “Ready for His Appearing,” Perfection: The Impossible Possibility (Nashville, TN: Southern Publishing Assn, 1975), pp. 141 -200.

24. Dennis E. Priebe, Face to Face With the Real Gospel (Boise, ID: Pacific Press Publishing Assn, 1985).

25. J.R. Zurcher, Touched With Our Feelings: A Historical Survey of Adventist Thought on the Human Nature of Christ (Hagerstown, MD: Review and  Herald Publishing Assn, 1999).

26. Ibid.

27. Ralph Larson, The Word Was Made Flesh: One Hundred Years of Seventh-day Adventist Christology, 1852-1952 (Cherry Valley, CA: The Cherrystone  Press, 1986).

28. Robert H. Pierson, on the back cover of W.D. Frazee, Ransom and Reunion Through the Sanctuary (Wildwood, GA: Pioneers Memorial, 1994). See also  Pierson, We Still Believe (Washington, D.C: Review and Herald Publishing Assn, 1975), p. 243.

29. Ted N.C. Wilson, “Go Forward!” Sermon delivered at 59th World Session of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, Atlanta, Georgia,  July 3, 2010. http://archives.adventistreview.org/article/3614/archives/issue-2010-1526/go-forward

30. “New Adventist president envisions a church marked by prayer, revival,” Adventist News Network, Aug. 2, 2010.

31. http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/%E2%80%98god%E2%80%99s-prophetic-movement,-message,-and-mission-and-their-attempted-neutralization- by-the-devil%E2%80%99

32.https://m.facebook.com/PastorTedWilson/photos/a.893482760707617.1073741827.221442104578356/924770757578817/?type=3&source=48

33. Ibid.

34. Ibid.

35. Geoffrey J. Paxton, The Shaking of Adventism (Wilmington, DE: Zenith Publishing Co, 1977), p. 114.

36. Ibid, p. 113.

37. Malcolm Bull and Keith Lockhart, Seeking a Sanctuary: Seventh-day Adventism and the American Dream (Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press,  2007), pp. 86-87.

Readers Comments

Jonathan Bleeker • 3 months ago

The question about whether LGT is worth believing or not is quite simple: What is your motive? If it is simply to get to Heaven then it is rather  self centered. If on the other hand, it is to be in harmony and at peace with God, only then can you find Heaven to be an attractive place and LGT  starts to make sense. It is interesting to note that the supreme desire of Moses and Paul was not to gain Heaven but to gain Christ's character. For  that reason, they were both willing to be blotted out of the book of life, to be counted anathema, if it might be the salvation of another soul. And  that fits right in with the center pillar characteristic of God's love in 1 Cor. 13. Love seeketh not her own.

•Reply•Share ›

Michael Haus • 3 months ago

One criticism I have heard of LGT is that it teaches the 144,000 is a literal number.

While I have heard several people advocate this idea over the years, I think most LGT supporters do not support it.

•Reply•Share ›

Kevin Paulson Mod  Michael Haus • 2 months ago

There is no definitive position on the part of Last Generation Theology advocates relative to the literal-versus-figurative nature of the 144,000. I  for one believe the number to be figurative. Many others I know who hold to Last Generation Theology also believe this number is figurative.

But either way, I want to be one of them! We might not know for sure whether the number is literal or figurative, but of one thing we are certain,  in the words of God's prophet:

"Let us strive with all the power that God has given us to be among the 144,000" (7BC 970).

•Reply•Share ›

This comment was deleted.

Michael Haus  Guest • 2 months ago

Good point Willem. My issue with saying that 144000 is literal is that I have heard it used to discourage people -- by making it sounds like it is  really hard to get into heaven. And there is a limited number of people that will make it (144K).

I realize that most LGT advocates don't agree with this.

•Reply•Share ›

Let's keep in mind, of course, that the 144,000 are only those translated without seeing death. This number, whether literal or symbolic, does not  represent the entire company of the saved. It is only those alive when Jesus comes who comprise this number (EW 15).

•Reply•Share ›

robert king  Kevin Paulson • 2 months ago

It seems to read in EW 15 as literal. I'm know there is a symbolic to literal reason for the number and it

will likely not be know until the books are opened or maybe

some will know before translation. We don't know for sure from the SOP.

EGW does say that individuals would have a special resurrection to

be with them that lived the 3AM in her day. A special resurrection

and not actually counted as numbered among them because they

have a name and a song that no one can know to sing, because of their

experience through the time of trouble.

•Reply•Share ›

Kevin Paulson Mod  robert king • 2 months ago

That's the key, Robert. The 144,000 have a unique experience, which no other company has ever had (GC 648-649). This includes standing without a  Mediator and enduring the greatest time of trouble in history, as well as never having seen death.

Those who die in the third angel's message and are raised in the special resurrection *GC 637) have not had the above experiences, though they--- with the 144,000---will see the general resurrection of the righteous and experience the final moments of human history just prior to the second  advent.

But the question of literal versus symbolic is really beside the point. We have no inspired command to figure that out. We do, however, have an  inspired injunction to strive to perfect that kind of character, and thus be among the 144,000 (7BC 970).

•Reply•Share ›

I was wondering if you will be at the Michigan camp

meeting this June? I was thinking of travelling to the

only conference in Lake Union that actually has present truth

presenters. The state I live in never does have a planned

group of present truth speakers as does Michigan. It's

actually really bad some meetings here.

•Reply•Share ›

My plan at the moment is to in fact be present the last weekend of the Michigan camp meeting, June 24. It would be wonderful to see you. Just pop me  a private e-mail to confirm when that date approaches.

•Reply•Share ›

Ok.

•Reply•Share ›

Kevin Paulson Mod  Guest • 2 months ago

Quite true. If sin is involuntary, it is unavoidable. And the Bible is very clear that for the one claiming God's power for pardon and  transformation, sin is most assuredly not unavoidable. What else can be gleaned from such verses as the following?

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the  fear of God" (II Cor. 7:1).

•Reply•Share ›

Jonathan Bleeker  Kevin Paulson • 2 months ago

This experience every one who is saved must have. In the day of judgment, the course of the man who has retained the frailty and imperfection of  humanity will not be vindicated. For him there will be no place in heaven. He could not enjoy the perfection of the saints in light. He who has not  sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from sinning, has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.— Manuscript 161, 1897. {3SM 360.4}

•Reply•Share ›

Kevin Paulson Mod  Jonathan Bleeker • 2 months ago

One of my favorite Ellen White statements!! Thanks for sharing!

•Reply•Share ›

robert king • 2 months ago

:-). Spartan-

•Reply•Share ›

Do you mean Leonidas or Lysander?? . . . LOL!!

•Reply•Share ›

Spartan in that my response was laconic in it's approval :-). We have to be

of both--warrior and wise-

Appreciate your writing on such difficult topics and making them so lucid.

•Reply•Share ›

Michael Haus • 2 months ago

A little off-topic -- The online EGW database shows 144 results when you search for "144,000".

I've always wondered if this was done on purpose, or is just a crazy coincidence.

•Reply•Share ›

Interesting.

•Reply•Share ›

robert king  Guest • 2 months ago

nice post. I think you have hit it what the spiritual issue is with people and

why the struggles with Righteousness by faith with SDA's.

•Reply•Share ›

I'm sorry to have to delete your post, but we are very strict in adhering to our new policy of requiring first and last legal names. Please use both  first and last legal names in all posts you wish to leave here.

•Reply•Share ›

Your comments are appreciated, but you must use first and last legal names to comment on this website. All comments not conforming to this policy  are deleted.

•Reply•Share ›

Wayne L • 8 days ago

Paulson there are yet "many" others reasons to reject the LGT heresy. I will list only a brief summary of 3 reasons for now.1.) The question of the  great controversy doesn't revolve around man not being able to keep God's law. The great controversy began in heaven with the accusation of the  misrepresentation of God's character by Satan. SOP vol. 4 p.320, Gen. 2, Job 2-3 ,Every accusation is "based" on this fundamental charge. 2.) There  is no evidence that the heavenly host were reluctant to trust in Christ's merit for redeemed man. Three things were accomplished forever by Christ's  death . Satan's destruction, Man's redemption, Universe secured D.A. p.764, 758. Col. 1:20 3.) This doctrine implies that the investigative judgment  hinges on the spiritual accomplishment of a few. This logic undermines the legal and moral basic of God's Pre-judgment "of everyone will be judged  by their own deeds". Eccel. 14:10, 2 Cor. 5:10. Rom. 2:6, Matt. 16:27, Ezekiel 14:14

Source:

http://advindicate.com/articles/2017/5/21/five-popular-myths-about-last-generation-theology