Those of you who haven't heard of William Miller's biography can download the book online. James White published it in 1875. It is based on very good direct sources and letters.

Following what pastors of other churches said about Miller, as a Baptist he must have been the Billy Graham of 1840-1844. Ordinary farmer who read himself into the Bible and he could speak with simple clarity. The churches where he was invited to speak were packed and outside were people who could not get in.

One day some of his friends ask him to go to a phrenologist. It is a science that measured the skulls of people and they could indicate the personality, intelligence and so on. Miller agreed.

The doctor was unaware of who the patient was. He then told others who were sitting around waiting for their turn, that the man he now had in front of him was a great competition for William Miller. "Miller will never be able to convert the man because his head is too big. This patient is a smart man. I would like to analyze Miller's head. I will push it a bit too".

The people in the waiting room all laughed and giggled. He thought they were laughing at his jokes.

He then told them, "Miller has a lump on his head and he shows with his fist how big the lump is".

"Yes-no, this patient of mine would have given him all his days".

When he finished measuring he made the sketch and then asked the patient's name.

"Oh no, that's not necessary" says the patient politely.

"Come on," said the doctor, "I have to write it in the space".

"Okay," says the patient, "if you insist, write Mr. M".

The doctor asks: "What does the M stand for?"

The patient says "Miller".

The doctor asks "Miller as in Miller?"

The patient says "Yes, Miller as in William Miller".

The doctor was horrified: "You mean you're William Miller?"

They say in the biography that for the rest of the time he was very quiet.

Isn't it true that sometimes we talk too much and then later want to bite our tongues? The book of James says we must be slow with the tongue. Sounds about right, doesn't it?