Ted Wilson's Message to Japan through NSD

March 18, 2011, South Korea

Elder Ted Wilson, GC President, offered words of consolation to people and the church in Japan.

In his letter to Dr. Jairyong Lee, NSD President, he wrote that we “have seen the terrible destruction in northeast Japan as a result of the 5th most powerful earthquake recorded and the resulting tsunami” during his itinerary to England. He continuously said “Our prayers are with the people of Japan and our dear church members in that country as well as with all church members in NSD after this devastating earthquake and tsunami. Please give our deep sympathy, condolences and Christian love to the Japan Union, our pastors and members and tell them that I have prayed for them. I am sure that Seventh-day Adventists around the world are praying for this situation.”

He also mentioned that “Certainly, this is another reminder of the closeness of our Lord’s return. We can claim the promises of Psalm 91:1 and 2, “He who dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust.’” Let the promise found in Prophets and Kings, page 386 be for our brothers and sisters in Japan, "In the darkest hours, under circumstances the most forbidding, the Christian believer may keep his soul stayed upon the source of all light and power. Day by day, through faith in God his hope and courage may be renewed."

Closing his writing, Elder Wilson wrote “may God come especially close to the people of Japan, and our dear members as they provide whatever possible assistance in a humanitarian way and bring spiritual encouragement during this tragic natural disaster.”