Fukui Church, Japan

Pastor Ko KiRim  

Fukui is particularly known for its snow and rain.  We have much of it, and it lasts for a long time.  It starts raining around the end of October, but it changes to snow in December and continues to snow until the end of February.  So there are just a few sunny days a month.  This kind of weather on the west coast of Japan is probably the cause of quite a few of its residents suffering from depression and mental diseases.  What’s more, the residents of Fukui are reputed to be extremely reclusive, even toward other Japanese people.

Last spring, I decided to distribute leaflets about a Korean language class I was opening.  I included information on an English class, a Korean language class and a gospel choir in them, and my wife and I distributed them throughout the neighborhoods.  I expected many people to gather together because of Hallyu (Korean Wave).  But no matter how long I waited, nobody showed up to learn English or Korean.  Only one person joined the gospel choir.  After a year of many twists and turns, my wife was able to teach one precious student in her Korean language class.  In no time this student brought three others to the class, so she had four students.

In late March of this year, I planned to run a children’s English class.  I produced leaflets again and distributed them near an elementary school.  I planned to start the class Monday and make a little presentation on the Sabbath.  After preparing gifts and snacks for the students and asking one of the church members to help me plan the lessons, I started the class.  However, no one came on the first day.  So my wife played the part of an English teacher and the church member, my two sons and I became her students.  We sang in English, learned English conversation, played games and had snacks.  At least my sons had a good time.

To make matters worse, the church member, who told me he enjoyed it and promised to be there continually, didn’t show up after Tuesday.  When my sons asked me why other kids were not coming and whether I would continue with this English class, I said calmly, “We can make it for sure!”  But I felt wretched.  Even so, my family kept singing in English, playing games, and having snacks every day until the time of the presentation that Sabbath morning.  I felt bitter to see just my family participating, but the time we had together seemed to be happier.

Last winter was long indeed because of the rain and snow alone, so by the time members began to understand the ideas of their missionary, and the many opposing voices finally came together to form a friendly atmosphere, my mind and body were exhausted and everything around me looked disappointing.  But in early April I started to feel the atmosphere of my church beginning to change.  Just then, a Chinese man that was in business somewhere else joined my church with his unbelieving wife, and then other people also joined.  What’s more, ten people registered for the Korean class and two for the English class.  I arranged a social gathering for these people every month so that snacks, games and the Word of God could be shared.

I pondered the reason why new people suddenly started joining my church and its programs in April.  First, I would say that God has enlightened me and taught me many things through what has happened to me in the past.  He seems to be telling me to cling to Him more with prayers and be more perseverant even though trials and sufferings are ahead of me, results are not seen immediately, and not everyone is on my side.  He also seems to be telling me that He lives.  Eventually He answered my feeble yet ceaseless prayers.

When I was having a hard time as a pastor, I got fully motivated and encouraged by my wife, who dedicated herself to God by doing her very best.  I admired her because she was stronger than I was in some ways.  I appreciate her persistent, specific prayers as well as her dedication. (I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m bragging about my wife.)

What I went through gave me an opportunity to experience God, who answers countless prayers, and I decided to rededicate myself to Fukui Church.  God surely listens to prayers and gives His helping hand.  So why not depend on Him in everything?  “He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him” (Psalm 126:6).

Now that spring has come, I pray that the season of harvest may come soon.

가족사진.JPG