Maranatha Church, Mongolia

Pastor Park NoYoung (The Third Batch)

Mongolia is widely known as the country of Genghis Khan.  The collapse of the Soviet Union, which was the sole supporter of Mongolia until 1990, naturally led Mongolia to adopt a market economy and a democracy, and it’s been around 15 years since the Christian gospel entered this country.  Christianity in Mongolia is still in its early stages, but each denomination is trying hard to raise local leaders, and quite a few of missionaries have devoted their lives to establishing a Christian culture here.

Mongolians began to enjoy freedom after democratization, but some of them are missing the days of communism because nobody interfered with anyone.  They say that democracy is leading to self-indulgence.  Conflicts are on the rise because the government is corrupt and the gap between the rich and the poor is large.  According to Pastor Bold from Mongolia Central Church, in the days of communism and the early and mid-1990s, the streets were clean, there were no beggars to be found, buildings were well maintained, and everyone grew flowers in front of his or her house.  Afterward, however, people became more and more indifferent to the needs of others and did as they pleased in the name of freedom.  Drunkards reeled along the street.  Kids started begging and living in manholes.  I also heard that some intellectuals criticize Christianity for giving people food for free, which they say leads to more beggars.

This is what I heard from my Mongolian friend.  One day, when a man jumped over an open manhole, another man came out of the manhole and argued with him, saying that he jumped over his front door.  My friend told this to me for fun, but this is reality in Mongolia.  Since Mongolia has long winters, many homeless Mongolians live in manholes so that the heating pipes can keep them warm.  Sometimes entire families live in manholes together, and there are instances in which children get sick and die from these living conditions.

Some time ago I went to a history museum and saw some pictures of Mongolia from the 1970s.  The streets were really clean, buildings were neat, and flower beds were put in order, just like Pastor Bold said.  I felt sad as I thought of its good old days.  Mongolians are sometimes nostalgic about communism, and strong shamanist, Lama Buddhist, and communist thought all remain in their consciousness.  As I bump into this barrier from time to time, I realize how long it takes for people’s minds to change.

Mongolians have great self-respect and are belligerent.  They have strong nationalistic feelings. They are proud of their history and nostalgic about Genghis Khan.  The national respect for Genghis Khan is so strong that nothing remains, neither is there anything to talk about, without him.  That’s why Lama Buddhism receives nationwide political support and is practiced by the majority of government officials, rich people, and intellectuals.  Mongolians misunderstand Christianity as a religion only for the poor and needy.  So it will not be easy for Christianity to grow in Mongolia unless Mongolians break down the barriers between their history and Christianity and accept our faith as their own.

Mongolia is a country that needs much prayer.  I don’t think the gospel has taken root here yet.  Time, prayers, and dedication are needed in order for the minds of the Mongolians to change.  My prayer is that Mongolia may grow in the love of our coming Lord, Jesus, as the gospel is spread there.  Its economy is growing rapidly, and many people are busily going to and fro.  Therefore, mission work must be done in Mongolia before it’s too late.  It is time for us to pray and commit ourselves to mission work.  It is high time that we stood up for Christ.

Maranatha!

Episode

One day I took my wife and baby to a hospital in Mongolia for a medical checkup.  When I consulted the doctor, he asked me to give all my personal information, jotting down some things on a patient progress sheet. When he asked me about my job, I told him I am a pastor.  He had little knowledge of Christianity, so he said, “Ah, pastor!” and wrote down “lama” on the sheet.  Bewildered, I kept telling him I am a pastor and tried to explain about the Seventh-day Adventist Church, but all he said was, “That’s right, lama.” So I became a lama all of a sudden.

Churches are called soom or chollang in Mongolian.  But since lamaseries are also called soom, he misunderstood the context.  So my wife and I laughed for a long time.