BEAUTIFUL FLOCKJ

"What will the world be like without children?" I sometimes can't help but ask this question to myself. Without their pretty smiles and cute laughs,  I think living without kids is like living in a world without flowers--so bleak and empty.

Graduated as a Secondary Teacher, I never had passion in teaching little kids. But God sent me in an elementary school here in Busan, South Korea as my mission field. My heart was changed when I beheld these little angels so precious now to my sight. When I was asked last year to write something for our School Year Book, I wasn’t able to write a very nice article, but I just scribbled on a paper and let my heart speak through a poem which I dedicated to the kids and I entitled, “You Are Pearls.” Wonder why? Kids are undeniably precious. Didn’t God say “…unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven?”(Matt. 18:3)

There is so much we could learn from kids. Let me just share to you a few of the many unforgettable experiences I had with them.

There was a time when I was trying to hide my sadness with a fake smile. Facing kids with a sad face will break their little hearts, I thought, when suddenly Sally(1st grader) pointed to my eyes and said, “Sad.” I was tongue-tied. How could this little girl so little and innocent read the sadness in my eyes that the adults didn’t even notice?J

One day in class kids were very noisy and restless that I can’t help but wear a stony face. James(2nd grader) held my hand when I passed by his seat and said, “Teacher, please smile” with that pleading look on his face. I forced a smile on my face and then he was happy!J

While checking the kids’ diaries, here are some that caught my attention:

Andy (2nd grader)- “My younger brother destroyed my clay but I forgave him because brother is more important than clay.”

James (5th grader)- “Failure is the mother of success. Next time I have to do better.”

Kaelyn (5th grader)- “My teacher gave me a gift by teaching and loving me. I think my teacher and my mother look the same. They are very scary but they love me.”

I am glad God gave me the sweet responsibility of taking care of kids. It’s not just because of their cuteness but it’s because of their simple and trusting hearts. More especially, their love is true. They may be the reason why I become angry sometimes but most of the time they make me happy and taught me a lot more than what I taught them.

Christine (2nd grader) , while doing our activity in our Bible Class told her classmates, “I am a sheep.” One of her classmates reacted, “Eh? Sheep?” Then she said, “Yes. I am Jesus’ sheep.”J

God is our “Great Shepherd” and we are the “Under-Shepherds.” We have different flocks that God has entrusted to us right now. It might be our family, our friends, our students, our church members or even our co-missionaries.

When Jesus will come again and will ask us,”…where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock(Jeremiah13:20), what will be our answer? J