1_346615552m[1].jpg1_561991633m[1].jpg1_346615552m[1].jpg

Above are the photos of young people in Cavite Philippines who accepted Jesus as thier personal savior

And below are photos in my mission field in Mindanao, Philippines and Chilbo Church, Jeongeup-si, South Korea.

remidios pic 031.jpgSDC15775.JPG

Fishers of Men

Luke 5: 10 -Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men”.

Some people define happiness as the fruits of good circumstances, but in times of troubles they treated life as if it is so uninteresting.

Personally, I found my own happiness not in money, fame, or in anything else, but simply seeing people in their new and transformed life.

I am a fisherman, completed my degree in a school of fisheries. Though I didn’t work as a fisherman after my graduation, but somehow I learned how to fish.

I might be fortunate enough to have the opportunity to travel around and spread the gospel in every corner of the world after I meet Jesus. In 2006, I decided to vacate my job in Boracay, famous Island in the Philippines, and answer the calling of the Lord. Beyond my expectation, God sent me to the far-flung area of the Southern Philippines. My first five months in the fields was so successful.

Despite of many hardships my nets were filled with precious souls in my very first year of soul fishing. I was so happy and I thought it’s enough, but I was wrong. I heard the Lord’s calling and telling me to bring my boat and my nets in Cavite, northern Philippines. And because He said so, I cast my nets down. Surprisingly, it was filled with souls again.

Shortly after a two-year service in the Philippines, the Lord transferred me to a new fishing ground, this time a cold place, more wider area, South Korea. It’s a new world for me. Learning how deal with new people, hearing and even speaking strange language. And this journey was accompanied by greater challenges as it used to be. It is not easy but it didn’t stop me from doing my mission. I know this ground is potential for fishing. And I believe God sends me here because He wants me to catch men just like what Peter did.

In fishing you must be equipped with gear; and I was so glad God provided me everything needed for this search. God gave me the ability to sing (my fish attractant), tongue to speak (my feeding bowl) and a prayerful life (my net).

Scientifically, fishing must be done at night but I did it whenever there is an opportunity to do it. After almost a year of studying the potential soul to catch, finally I found the best way I could possibly do to catch some of them. And along the way the circumstances taught me to become friendly, loving, caring, and open-handed. I realized that sometimes I have to give my own foods to a hungry student, understand their emotional, physical and spiritual needs. Indeed, this is the most challenging ground I ever had.

But God is working everywhere. Through the help of the Holy Spirit, souls even came closer to my nets voluntarily. They opened their doors for the very important message of salvation. Students attending my class are from different beliefs. Fortunately, they started to change their minds and trying to get rid from their old principle. This is very interesting and made me so inspired to work until the end of my missionary tenure. I know soul fishing is not easy but it is really worthwhile.

But the time had come; I have to leave the place for another calling. Off course it is really hard to say goodbye, and I don’t like it, but no choice I need to go. The Golden Angels Ministry is waiting for me. I waved goodbye and I thought that’s the end of everything I been working hard for a year. But I was totally wrong. Early this year, after I came back from the Philippines, I received a call from one of my students. He said; “Teacher, I have news for you. I and my older brother have been baptized few weeks ago. Are you happy?” No words can express my happiness. It was totally beyond my expectation. It’s wonderful, really wonderful. God is good, He is working everywhere. The boys who started to come to my class because they are just curious and eager to talk to a foreigner, learned to love singing an action songs and listen to bible stories, finally made a decision to accept Jesus as their personal savior. These boys are brothers and apparently active students in my class. Though these students are not the best among others in my class but they are the boys who cried when I was bitten by a poisonous snake because they didn’t want me to die.

Now I realized that my undertaking did not end with empty nets. Two precious souls are again added to the growing family of God. Now, my prayers are for their parents and for my other students to soon, accept Jesus’ invitation.

Holding a net full of precious souls makes me joyful despite of trials and hardships along the way. Just like fishing, it might be very boring hauling a net without a fish in it, but whenever there is a catch inside it would be very joyful and satisfying.

I won’t stop catching souls. This time in my new fishing ground, new venture in the music ministry under golden angels, I will go on.

Mark Quijano

28th Batch 1000 MM Missionary,

7th Group - Golden Angels