everlasting-gospels.gif

Tithing-A Better Way

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

May 26  Tithing-A Better Way

guide_img.gif

line.gif

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Mal. 3:10.

Interestingly, the early discussions of Systematic Benevolence did not utilize Malachi3:8-10, nor did writers in the Review emphasize the blessings of faithful giving.

What they did stress was the fact that Systematic Benevolence was painless and nonsacrificial in nature. It was, in fact, so painless and nonsacrificial that it failed to support the needs of the growing church adequately.

Only gradually did the Sabbatarians come to an acceptance of Bible tithing. Some had apparently thought of it in 1859, but James White was quite certain that what Adventist had in Systematic Benevolence was superior to the "Israelitish tithing system."

Things began to change when in February 1876 Dudley M. Canright published a series of articles in the Review stressing Malachi 3:8-11. Setting forth tithing as the Bible plan for supporting the ministers, he was emphatic that "God requires that a tithe, or one tenth, of all the income of his people shall be given to support his servants in their labors." He went on to note that "the Lord does not say you should give me a tenth, but he says one tenth is the Lord's." Since the tithe was already God's, believers merely returned it to Him. Canright also emphasized the blessings and rewards of tithing. "I am thoroughly satisfied," he wrote, "that the special blessing of God does attend those who are prompt and liberal in paying" their tithe.

Beyond personal blessing, the tithing system would succeed in supporting the church, whereas Systematic Benevolence had failed. At the 1876 General Conference session Canright estimated that if all members paid a faithful tithe, the General Conference treasury would receive $150,000 yearly instead of only $40,000.

Canright went on to urge that the General Conference approve the tithing system, which it did in October 1876. From that point on biblical tithing increasingly became the way that Adventism supported its ministers. And of course, by that time it had an organizational structure that could serve as the "storehouse" of Malachi 3 to both collect and disperse funds.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

Lord, we are thankful for Your guidance in even the financial matters of the church. ANd we appreciate Your blessings for faithfulness to those who follow the biblical plan of tithe and offerings.

line.gif