Testing The Prophet-2

February 27  Testing The Prophet-2

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1John 4:1, NASB.

The turning point in Bates' evaluation of Ellen White's gift came during November 1846 in Topsham. Maine, when she had a vision that included astronomical data. As an ex-seaman Bates was well acquainted with the topic.

He later told J. N. Loughborough of his experience in Topsham. "One evening, in the presence of Bor. Bates, who as yet was an unbeliever in the visions," Loughborough reports, "Sr. White had a vision, in which she soon began to talk about the stars. She gave a glowing descriptuion of the rosy-tinted belts which she saw across the surface of some planet, and then added, 'I see four moons.' 'Oh,' said Bro. Bates, 'she is viewing Jupiter.'" She went on to describe several other astronomical phenomena.

After Ellen White came out of vision. Bates asked her if she had ever studied astronomy. "I told him," she recalled, that "I had no recollection of ever looking into an astronomy"(2SG 83).

James White was of the same opinion regarding her total lack of knowledge on the topic. "It is well known," he wrote in describing the Topsham vision in early 1847, "that she knew nothing of astronomy, and could not answer one question in relation to the planets, before she had this vision."

The evidence had been enough for the skeptical Bates. From that point on he firmly believed that she had a divind gift. He had concluded by April 1847 that God had given her gift "to comfort and strengthen his 'scattered,' 'torn,' and 'peeled people,'" since their disappointment in 1844.

And in January 1848 Bates urged his readers not to reject Ellen White's work "because of her childhood and diseased bodily infirmities, and lack of worldly knowledge." After all, he pointed out, "God's manner has ever been to use the weak things of this world to confound the learned and mighty." The Lord was, according to Bates, employing her to "encouage the little flock" at the very time many of the previous leaders were deserting it.

"I was once slow," he noted, "to believe that this sister's visions were of God. I did not oppose them," however, "for the word of the Lord is positively clear that spiritual visions will be given to his people in the last days."

And so they will. Our task is not to despise but to test. May God help us with that assignment.

It is not safe for us to linger to contemplate the advantages to be reaped through yielding to Satan's suggestions. Sin means dishonor and disaster to every soul that indulges in it; but it is blinding and deceiving in its nature, and it will entice us with flattering presentations. If we venture on Satan's ground we have no assurance of protection from his power. So far as in us lies, we should close every avenue by which the tempter may find access to us(TFMB, 118).