everlasting-gospels.gif The Alternative To Date Setting-2
letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

April 11  The Alternative To Date Setting-2

guide_img.gif

Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me. Matt. 25-40, RSV.

How to be a faithful Adventist? That is the question.

He disciples and the early Adventists (and many in our day also) wanted to spend their wait in emotional excitement. But Jesus sought to direct their attention to the more sober realm of living as a Christian in the daily world.

Yesterday we closed with the parable of the sheep and goats in Matthew 25:31-46. Ellen White caught Jesus' meaning when she wrote: "Thus Christ on the Mount of Olives pictured to His discipels the scene of the great judgment day. And He represented its decision as turning upon one point. When the nations are gathered before Him, there will be but two classes, and their eternal destiny will be determined by what they have done or have neglected to do for Him in the person of the poor and suffering. . .Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentility, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God  they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God"(DA 637, 638).

Has the Holy Spirit touched my heart? Where is my focus as an Adventist? Is it on the excitement of the latest preacher who persuades the church on the nearness of the Advent? Or is it on "PRESENT duty" as we wait for that event?

I must admit that excitement by definition is more captivating. But "PRESENT duty" is more Christian.

The true Adventist according to Jesus is not the one who can only think of how close the coming is, but the one who is living the life of God's love while hoping and waiting and watching for the better day.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

Today, my friend, Jesus wants each of us to rededicate our life to being Christians in our world as we await next one.

line.gif