everlasting-gospels.gif

Law In Galatians Explosion-2

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

August 18 - Law In Galatians Explosion-2

guide_img.gif

line.gif

In Christ you are all sons of God, through faith. Gal. 3:26, RSV.

The fact that Ellen White had had a vision in which she had identified the Galatians law in the 1850s further complicated the controversy. Butler and Smith asserted that she had specified it as the ceremonial law. She replied tha tshe remembered the vision, but had no written record of it, couldn't recall what she had said, and that the whole issue should be dropped as it wasn't important. To her it was a "mere mote" of a problem. Her burden was not the law but "to present Jesus and His love before my brethren, for I saw marked evidences that many had not the spirit of Chrit"(MS 24, 1888).

Such talk further inflamed Butler and Smith, who now charged Ellen White with changing her mind. And true prophet, they implied, could do such a thing. Thus her prophetic gift had also come under fire from the leadership of the denomination in an already tense time.

But it wasn't the first time in the 1880s that Smith had been upset with the Adventist prophet. In 1882 he had become stirred up over a testimony that faulted him in his handling of Goodloe Harper Bell at Battle Greek College. At that time he had concluded that everything  that she wrote wasn't from God. Her counsel was only inspired if she said "I saw." Thus her letters to him, unless she said "I saw, " were merely good advice. Or bad advice as Smith regareded it in the case of Bell.

By the mid-1880s, in the midst of the Galatians controversy, Butler had come to join Smith in his jaundiced view of Ellen White's bad advice.

Ellen White, of course, had her own opinion on the topic: "If the preconceived opinions or particular ideas of some are crossed in being reproved by testimonies, they have a burden at once to make plain their position to discriminate between the testimonies, defining what is Sster White's human judgment, and what is the word of the Lord. Everything that sustains their cherished ideas is divine, and the testimonies to correct their errors are human-Sister Whtie's opinions. They make of none effect the counsel of God by their tradition"(MS 16, 1889).

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

Protect us, O God, from ourselves.

line.gif