everlasting-gospels.gif

Family And Mission

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

July 21 - Family And Mission

guide_img.gif

line.gif

In thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. Gen. 12:3.

Our text in some ways reminds me of the "other" James Bond. His brother Seth became one of the first Adventists in California in 1872 through the ministry of J. N. Loughborough. Jamming his pockets full of tracts, his first missionary target was James, a farmer in California's central valley.

Finding the man plowing with a 10-mule team, he lost no time in beginning his mission. He talked his new faith in the field, followed it up in the barn, and continued on into the house. James' wife, Sarah, a devout Baptist, stood for this for a few days, until her patience gave out. But finally, after telling Seth that they appreciated his visits, she noted that if he didn't stop talking about this Sabbath business he had better move on.

"Sarah," he replied, "if you can show me just one text in the New Testament that implies we are obliged to keep the first day of the week, I'll say no more."
"That's easy," she answered.
Getting James to halt his plowing until they found the passage, they read the New Testament together. Four days later they arrived at the last verse of Revelation, but without their text.

Saturday morning James Bond went out and fed and harnessed his mules, preparing to plow. Coming back into the house, he ate breakfast, led family worship, and returned to the barn. About nine o'clock his wife saw the plow standing idle in the field. Fearing he had been hurt, she rushed out, only to discover that he was sitting on a box reading Sabbath tracts. At that point both became Sabbatarians.

Later, under Ellen White's urging, this father of 11 became a medical doctor. Five of his sons became ministers and seven of his children became foreign missionaries.

Two of them, Frank Starr Bond and Walter Guy Bond, pioneered the Adventist mission in Spain in 1903. Walter would give his life there 11 years later at the age of 35, apparently a victim of poisoning. Both of them experienced the trials of Paul as they were stoned and forcefully driven out of villages.

I have a personal interest in this story because my wife (Elizabeth, or "Bonnie," Bond) is the granddaughter of Frank and the great-granddaughter of James.

Families make a difference! How our children relate to the Lord, the church, and to service is shaped to a large extent by fathers and mothers in the faith.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

In everything that tends to the sustenance of man is seen the concurrence of divine and human effort. There can be no reaping unless the human hand acts its part in the sowing of the seed. But without the agencies which God provides in giving sunshine and showers, dew and clouds, there would be no increase. Thus it is in every business pursuit, in every department of study and science. Thus it is in spiritual things, in the formation of the character, and in every line of Christian work. We have a part to act, but we must have the power of divinity to unite with us, or our efforts will be in vain(COL 82).

line.gif