New Light On The Sanctuary-2

February 15  New Light On The Sanctuary-2

We have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord ptiched, not man. Heb. 8:1, 2, NASB.

Years after the event, Hiram Edson wrote about an experience he claimed he had on October 23, 1844, the day after the disappoinment. "I began," he penned, "to feel there might be light and help for us in our present distress. I said to some of my brethren, let us go to the barn. We entered the granary, shut the doors about us and bowed before the Lord.

"We prayed earnestly; for we felt our necessity. We continued in earnest prayer until witness of the Spirit was given that our prayer was accepted, and that light should be given, our disappointment be explaiend, and made clear and satisfactory. After breakfast I said to one of my brethren [probably O.R.L. Crosier], 'Let us go and see, and encourage some of our brethren.'

"we started, and while passing through a large field I was stopped about mid-way of the field. Heaven seemed opened to my view, and I saw distinctly, and clearly, that instead of our High Priest coming our of the Most Holy of the heavenly sanctuary to come to the earth on the tenth day of the seventh month, at the end of the 2300 days, that he for the first time entered on that day the second apartment of that sanctuary; and that he had a work to perform in the Most Holy before coming to this earth."

Edson's recollections are generally well known among Seventh-day Adventists. And some seem to think that it was through his "vision" that the church got its sanctuary doctrine.

But, we need to ask, are his visions or insights (or anyone else's) the proper grounding for a doctrine? Again, what if Adventism never had a report of Edson's experience? Would it make a difference? Not at all!

Hiram goes on to state that Crosier (who was living with him part of the time) and Dr. F. B. Hahn studied the topic of the sanctuary with him from the Bible. Crosier did an in-depth study, which Edson and Hahn agreed to finance for publication.

Here is the important point. At most, Edson's experience pointed out one possible interpretation of the meaning of the sanctuary. But Bible study and Bible study only could provide a solid foundation.

We must build all our teachings on solid Bible study. Always!

God's forgiveness is not merely a judicial act by which He sets us free from condemnation. It is not only forgiveness for sin, but reclaiming from sin. It is the outflow of redeeming love that transforms the heart. David had the true conception of forgiveness when he prayed, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10. And again he says, "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12(TFMB 114).