A People Of The Book-2

February 12  A People Of The Book-2

They received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scripture daily to see if these things were so. Acts 17:11, ESV.

Ellen White was in full harmony with Bates and her husband on the centrality of the Bible.  In her first book (1851) she wrote: "I recommend to you, dear reader, the Word of God as the rule of your faith and practice"(EW 78). And 58 years later she stood before the 1909 General Conference session with a Bible in her hands, saying, "Brethren and sisters, I commend unto you this Book." Her last spoken words to a General Conference session of the church, they reflected the sentiment of her ministry across its more than six decades.

James White in 1847 touched on the unique role of the Bible in Adventist doctrinal formation, claiming that Scripture is "our only rule of faith and prctice." In the context of his wife's prophetic ministry he wrote that "true visons are given to lead us to God, and his written word; but those that are given for a new rule of faith and practice, separate from the Bible, cannot be from God, and should be rejected."

Four years later he again made that point explicit. "Every Christian," he wrote, "is therefore duty bound to take the Bible as a perfect rule of faith and duty. He should pary fervently to be aided by the Holy Spirit in searching the Scriptures for the whole truth, and for his whole duty. He is not at liberty to turn from them to learn his duty through any of the gifts. We say that the very moment he does, he places the gifts in a wrong place, and takes an extremely dangerous position. The Word should be in front, and the eye of the church should be palced upon it, as the rule to walk by, and the foundation of wisdom, from which to learn duty in 'all good works.'"

In short, early Seventh-day Adventists rejected tradition, tradition, church authority, and even the gifts of the Spirit in their doctrinal formation.

With that in mind, it is important to ask where we are as Adventists (both individually and collectively) today on the topic of authority. in all too many cases, it appears, we are weak on the Bible.

Today is the best day possible to reverse that problem. Right now as you pray I want you to recommit yourself to serious Bible study on a daily basis. Why not begin with the Gospels, the letters of Paul, or the Psalms.

The important thing, however, it not where you start you study, but that in the spirit of the Adventist pioneers you commit yourself to at least one-half hour of Bible study every day. I know this will interfere with your TV time. But that is good. 

We receive Christ through His word, and the Holy Spirit is given to open the word of God to our understanding, and bring home its truths to our hearts. We are to pray day by day that as we read His word, God will send His Spirit to reveal to us the truth that will strengthen our souls for the day's need.(TFMB 112).