Ellen White's First Vision-1

February 19  Ellen White's First Vision-1

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. Joel 2:28.

In December 1844 Ellen Harmon was praying with four other women in the house of a Mrs. Haines of Portland, Maine. "While we were parying," Ellen notes, "the power of God came upon me as I had never felt it before"(LS 64).

During the experience, she wrote, "I seemed to be rising higher and higher, far above the dark world. I turned to look for the Advent people. . ., but could not find them, when a voice said to me, 'Look again, and look a little higher.' At this I raised my eyes, and saw a straight and narrow path, cast up high above the world. On this path the Advent people were traveling to the city, which was at the father end of the path. They had a bright light set up behind them at the beginning of the path, which an angel told me was the midnight cry [the preaching of the October 22 date as the fulfillment of Daniel 8:14].

"This light shone all along the path and gave light for their feet so that they might not stumble. If they kept their eyes fixed on Jesus, who was just before them, leading them to the city, they were safe.

"But soon some grew weary, and said the city was a great way off, and they expected to have entered it before. Then Jesus would encourage them. . .

"Others rashly denied the light behind them and said that it was not God that had led them out so far. The light behind them went out, leaving their feet in perfect darkness, and they stumbled and lost sight of the mark and of Jesus, and fell off the path down into the dark and wicked world below. . .

"Soon our eyes were drawn to the ast, for a small black cloud had appeared, about half as large as a man's hand, which we all knew was the sign of the Son of man. We all in solemn silence gazed on the cloud as it drew nearer and became lighter, glorious, and still more glorious, till it was a great white cloud. . .

'Then Jesus' siver trumpet sounded, as He descended on the cloud. . . .He gazed on the graves of the sleeping saints, then raised His eyes and hands to heaven, and cried, 'Awake! awake! awake! ye that sleep in the dust, and arise'"(EW 14-16).

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.(Psalms 51:10).