Oct.7, 2009 Sabbath

Visiting party - Esther, Grace  and Hilam Ireri with driver George.

En Route - Lavington Church-Kasarani round-about to Makutano, then 42 km right turn to Embu, altogether about 150km, north-northeast before Meru.

When passing Kimbimbi, a rice growing town before reaching Embu, suddenly scenery becomes very beautiful with Kenya Mountain on far left, covered with cloud. A beautiful expressway,  slowly climbing up the hill, plenty of trees on both sides, leading up to heaven.

Embu, a hilly town of provincial center, was relatively wealthy, clean looking. Passed this town by about 10-12km, then left turn, now a dirt road, but fairly good condition, by about 2-3 km, then at Makengi town, turn right (there was no church sign, SDA is publicity shy) in the middle of town and proceed about 1km.

There on left side corner, a small temporary church, walled by timbers with iron sheet roof.

However, right beside this temporary church, there stands a main sanctuary which has been built for the last 10 years but still a long way to go because members are not really well off.

Makengi SDA Church, supported and serviced by Esther’s father of 80 years old, has branched out 15 churches and Sabbath Schools to nearby area, while mother church stayed lean; To me, this was incredible (a small church in a hilly village has done so much for evangelism) and it was an honor and privilege to deliver God’s message to this faithful group of dedicated people of God.

Spoke on Mathew 4:4 “…Man shall not live by bread alone but by…”. I am not really good at sermons as you know. You need more concentration with different group of interest people in Africa if you really would reach them. But do you reach them unless you already know their culture, tradition? Do you talk their language? Or you want to expect them to come up to your culture?

Continued afternoon session was very interesting; they wanted a Mujungu missionary to dump his last remaining bag. I tried to give it to them.

In answer to a question of fear of death, raised by an old elder(by age) who had fear of his upcoming death, I was a little bit hard to come down on him of forgetting SDA concept of “sleep” waiting for 2nd coming of Jesus.

I have tried to level with them in vain; this is my real challenge in Africa. People do not want to accept that I am as same as them. But no way will they accept. They may not want to admit that I am poor, can be sick at times, and am lonely yet have a wife.

Exhausted by evening, it was a wonderful rest at Esther’s parent’s house.

Been a long time to a real nature, tranquil of it all, fresh air, no dust…As  you know Nairobi town is full of air pollution, dusts and noises.

Esther’s mother did not talk at all. Her brother has died the night before. Esther’s father was a tall and gracious man, kind looking with deep faith in

God, yet somehow there runs sadness in his eyes…found out one of his two sons has died in the US after completing Ph.D., and buried at back yard inside the fence. Guess he was a real darling, hope of the family. His son’s wife did not bother to come to the burial! Outside the fence were his father’s and grand father’s grave, and he was inherited this fertile land from them.

His older son, teaching in the US, has finally visited them only for two months during past summer after 23-24 years. But all 4 daughters are close to parents, however, visiting intermittently. He built his house so big so that his children and grand children can come any time to stay with them. Instead, I slept in ensuite room, I am sure, intended to one of his sons.

As we depart on Sunday, the following late morning, with gifts of country home foods, it was difficult for me to look at them straight into their eyes…I don’t know why.  Maybe I will come back one more time. Next time I will preach on God’s grace from living God. I felt I need to cheer up this old couple. For them going to church on Sabbath could be only joyful and pleasant time…members increase, and then branch out to Sabbath school or branch church. Mother does not have time to gain weight. She stays lean with 15 children.

May God remember this special provincial small church and its members, bless them and comfort them.

Yang, Seung Chun

Maha missionary to Africa

DSCF0434.JPGDSCF0435.JPGDSCF0439.JPGDSCF0441.JPGDSCF0443.JPGDSCF0447.JPGDSCF0449.JPGDSCF0451.JPGDSCF0454.JPGDSCF0456.JPGDSCF0457.JPGDSCF0459.JPGDSCF0461.JPGDSCF0462.JPGDSCF0473.JPGDSCF0474.JPGDSCF0475.JPGDSCF0476.JPGDSCF0478.JPGDSCF0479.JPGDSCF0481.JPGDSCF0483.JPGDSCF0484.JPGDSCF0487.JPGDSCF0489.JPGDSCF0492.JPGDSCF0494.JPGDSCF0495.JPGDSCF0498.JPGDSCF0499.JPGDSCF0503.JPGDSCF0504.JPG