December 29, 2008 (MON)

Monday, December 29, 2008

I bear witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If Anyone Should Add [Words] To It, God Will Add To Him The Plagues That Are Written In This Book, And If Anyone Should Take Away From The Words Of The Book Of This Prophecy, God Will Take Away His Part In The Tree Of Life and in the holy city, things that are written in this book. Rev. 22:18, 19.

At first glance it seems a rather threatening way for God to end the Bible! "Don't mess with this book! If you touch even a word of it, you will be in such trouble that you will wish your life were over!" While such ominous words undergird the authority of the book of Revelation in particular, they seem appropriate also for the Bible as a whole.

The Bible as it is does not contain all truth. "Two plus two equals four" is a truth, for example. But it doesn't appear in the Bible. "It is warmer at the equator than at the poles" is a truth. But it also is't in the Bible. So the Bible is not a collection of everything that is true-it is like a yardstick, by which we measure claims to truth.

That's why it is important to leave the Bible as it is. God fitted it for its own purpose. To tamper with it, to ignore one part or another, would be to interfere with its divine purpose. And to add something or to leave something out would be to distort God's intent. it seems to me that has implications for us as well. Every one of us is unique. We too are fitted for a purpose. Sometimes we might want to add or subtract from the work God has done with us, but we would be wiser to accept His purpose and use our unique characteristics for His glory.

Kathleen Donovan, former missionary to Papua New Guinea, describes this humorously. "I have fat legs," she says, "multicolored because of varicose veins. . . They're not things of beauty,  . . .  but they reach perfectly from the ground to my hips. . .They never tempt other people to envy." She goes on to point out that because of her legs, she has learned methods of varicose vein management that are helpful to others. A friend even uses her legs as an illustration of the results of sacrificial missionary service. It turns out that the ailment was inherited rather than the result of standing for hours at operating tables. Nevertheless, the sight of Kathleen's legs inspired a mission presentation that convinced others to consider similar service. Some listeners might never have done so if Kathleen's legs "had been slim and beautiful."

Donavan concludes, "Our job is to accept gratefully what we've been given, and find ways of using it to the glory of God." That would be true of the Bible as well. We should take it as God has given it, rather than try to manipulate its message to our own satisfaction.

Lord, help me to accept the way You designed me. Use even my less-desirable features as an illustration of Your benevolent purpose!

And at the final day, when the wealth of earth shall perish, he who has laid up treasure in heaven will behold that which his life has gained. If we have given heed to the words of Christ, then, as we gather around the great white throne, we shall see souls who have been saved through our agency, and shall know that one has saved others, and these still others--a large company brought into the haven of rest as the result of our labors, there to lay their crowns at Jesus' feet, and praise Him through the ceaseless ages of eternity. With what joy will the worker for Christ behold these redeemed ones, who share the glory of the Redeemer! How precious will heaven be to those who have been faithful in the work of saving souls!(TFMB 90).