December 4, 2008 (THU)

Thursday, December 4, 2008

[God] Will Wipe Away Every Tear From Their Eyes, and there will be no more death, neither will there be any more sorrow or crying or any more pain, Because THe Former Things Have Gone Away. Rev. 21:4.

"I love you, Dad."

It was the last thing that Howard had heard his daughter say. What had prompted her to make the phone call that ended with those words? Did she know that the bus she was about to board would explode? Wasn't he supposed to die before his child did? Howard felt alone in his greif. The apostle Paul had promised that God wouldn't lay on us burdens greater that we could bear(1 Cor. 10:13), but Howard wasn't so sure anymore. The heaviness in his chest left him breadthless at times.

He sought comfort in the words of Jesus: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"(Matt. 5:4, NIV). But the promise did not seem to be fulfilled in Howard's experiecne. Although he read the text, he didn't feel comforted. A sense of loss continued to wrench him apart.

I wonder what Mary thought when she saw her Son on the cross, he pondered. It's interesting that the Bible does not record any emotional outburst from her. She never cried out, "What are you doing to my Son?" Did she know that He was supposed to die? Did she understand it as part of some cosmic plan? Why didn't she run over and offer to take His place?

When spring came, Howard felt a little better. As the roses began to bloom he remembered happy times with his daughter planting and enjoying the bushes. But then the rains came, and he felt gloomy again. "I still relive that tragedy-laden phone call as if it were yesterday," he said. "Lord, I still don't understand Your plan!"

One day he came across Revelation 21:4: "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mouring or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away"(NIV). They were words from the future-words he was longing to hear. Howard came to realize that they explained Matthew 5:4 as well. Those who mourn do not always receive comfort in this life. The future tense is a promise that doesn't always apply to the here and now.

But both texts are clear in this. Howard will see his daughter gain. Because he believes in eternal life, he has gradually found comfort in Revelation's vision of hope. Even though his daughter lies in a grave, he knows that Jesus will return again. And when He does, God will wipe every tear away and the mourners will be comforted forever.

Lord, I have often felt frustrated by prayers that went unanswered, tragedies not prevented, loved ones I have lost. Help me trust Your future promise.

No one can give place in his own heart and life for the stream of God's blessing to flow to others, without receiving in himself a rich reward. The hillsides and plains that furnish a channel for the mountain streams to reach the sea suffer no loss thereby. That which they give is repaid a hundredfold. For the stream that goes singing on its way leaves behind its gift of verdure and fruitfulness. The grass on its banks is a fresher green, the trees have a richer verdure, the flowers are more abundant. When the earth lies bare and brown under the summer's parching heat, a line of verdure marks the river's course; and the plain that opened her bosom to bear the mountain's treasure to the sea is clothed with freshness and beauty, a witness to the recompense that God's grace imparts to all who give themselves as a channel for its outflow to the world. (TFMB 82).