December 3, 2008 (WED)

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, comign down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, The Tabernacle of God Is With Men, And He Will Tent With Them. They Will Be His People, And God Himself Will Be With Them And Be Their God." Rev. 21:2, 3.

A young woman diagnosed with a terminal illness learned that she had three months to live. So as she was getting her things in order she contacted her pasotr to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes. She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures she would like read, and what outfit she wanted to be buried in.

Everything was in order and the pastor was preparing to leave when the parishioner suddenly remembered something very important to her. "There's one more thing," she said excitedly.

"What's that?" the pastor replied.

"This is very important," she continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

The pastor stared at the young woman, not knowing quite what to say.

"That surprises you, doesn't it?" she said.

"Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request."

The young woman explained. "In all my years of attending socials and dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my favorite part, because I knew that something better was coming. . .like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful-and with substance! So I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fort in my hand, and I want them to wonder 'What's with the fork?' Then you can tell them: 'Keep your fork. . .the best is yet to come.'"

Our text's description of the future is written with the past in mind. God's eternal reward for His people includes the restoration of both Jerusalem and the Garden of Eden. His people will live in a "garden city" that offers the best of both worlds: the peace and tranquillity of a garden combined with the bustling excitement of a beautiful city. And best of all, God Himself will be there with us.

Keep your fork.

Lord, from the beginning of my life I have sensed that there has to be something better ahead. Thank You for the precious promise of the New Jerusalem.

We are not to think of reward, but of service; yet kindness shown in this spirit will not fail of its recompense. "Thy Father which seeth in secret Himself shall reward thee openly." While it is true that God Himself is the great Reward, that embraces every other, the soul receives and enjoys Him only as it becomes assimilated to Him in character. Only like can appreciate like. It is as we give ourselves to God for the service of humanity that He gives Himself to us(TFMB 81).