November 25, 2008 (TUE)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and Judgment Was Given To Them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus and the word of God. These did not worship the beast or his image, neither did they receive the mark upon their forehead or upon their hand. And they came to life and Reigned With Christ For A Thousand Years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were finished. This is the first rewurrection. Blessed and holy is the one having a part in the first resurrection. Upon these the second death has no power. But They Will Be Priests Of God And Of Christ, And They Will Reign With Him A Thousand Years. Rev. 20:4-6.

A returning missionary was rear-ended at a traffic light, causing minor damage to the car he had borrowed from a friend. When the officer arrive da the scene, he could not find the proof of insurance for the car, so he ended up receiving a ticket for $341. That news did not go judge at the local courthouse. What was doubly frustrating was that the proof of insurance had been in the car all along! He had just not recognized it.

So here he was sitting in the court with a host of other felons and fiends, planning to throw himself on the mercy of the court. But before the bailiff called his name, another rperson appeared with a ticket exactly like his. The person merely produced the proof of insurance, and the judge pronounced the blessed words of mercy, "Dismissed!"

Now the missionary had reason for a little hope. When the judge called him to the bar, he produced the proof of insurance, and the judge again said, "Dismissed." The missionary walked out of that courthouse, into the morning sun, with a glad and grateful heart.

The book of Revelation has a strong focus on judgement. But God's judgement is not something that His people need to fear. And it is more than just deciding who will be saved and who will be lost. The judgment in this text allows the saitns to review the events of history and see that God has consistently done the right thing. That conviction is important for the health of the universe and everyone in it.

The amazing thing is that God is willing to submit Himself to judgment for our sakes. Caring aout our feelings-even throughout eternity-He gives the redeemed a 1,000-year period to examine His actions. After careful review they will be satisfied both with His justice and with their position in His kingdom.

Lord, I am so grateful to know that You care about our feelings and our understandings. I trust that You will one day have the answer to all that toubles me now.

Because your heavenly Father "is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil" (Luke 6:35), because He has stooped to lift you up, therefore, said Jesus, you may become like Him in character, and stand without fault in the presence of men and angels.(TFMB 76).