November 18, 2008 (TUE)

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

And I saw heaven standing open, and I observed a white horse, and the one sitting on it is called "Faithfull and True." . . . And The Armies Of Heaven Were Following Him on white horses. . .Rev. 19:11-14.

The last half of Revelation 19 contains some arresting images. Nevertheless, it was a small point of grammar in verse 14 that caught my eye one day. You see, the Greek language has four different wyas to express the past tense. The Greek word behind the translation "were Following"(in verse 14) is an imperfect indicative. This word form expresses continuous action in the past.

In other words, the action of riding together was continuous. The armies of heaven "were folllowing" the rider on the white horse. Such following is not a one-time act, but an ongoing habit. They are accustomed to riding after their leader. Apparently success in heaven as well as on earth often depends on the team staying together.

A friend of mine saw an interview on public television between Charlie Rose and the well-known American cyclist Lance Armstrong. Armstrong had just won the Tour de France for the fourth conservative time (he now has seven consecutive victories). What makes Armstrong's story particularly compelling is not just the fact that he is the first American to be so successful in this unique event, but also that he has won the series of races in spite of a battle with cancer. His recovery from cancer and ongoing triumphs have inspired many around the world to keep fighting when the disease stirkes.

Near the end of the interveiw Charlie asked Lance for the secret of his success in winning the three-week Tour de France. Armstrong could have given many answers, and all of them would have made a lot of sense. He could have talked about conditioning, determination, and stragegic skill. But that is not how he responded.

He told Charlie that the secret to his success at the Tour de France was "never ride alone." You see, Lance is part of a team, the U.S. Postal team, which consists of nine riders. The team has one goal in mind: to support the one rider who has the best chance to win the race. So the rest of the team sacrifices itself for the sake of that one rider. They carry food for him and sometimes ride in front of him to break the wind. In general they manage the race in such a way that their leader is never stranded or struggling alone. Surrounded by his teammates, Lance never rode alone and was not vulnerable to the attacks of others. He remained strong throughout the race until the final victory.

"Never ride alone" is a heavenly principle that works for bike races and the race of life.

Lord, I need You to "ride" with me today. I can't make it through this day alone.

Jesus added, "Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." The same lesson had been taught through Moses: "Thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother: but thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth." Deuteronomy 15:7, 8. This scripture makes plain the meaning of the Saviour's words. Christ does not teach us to give indiscriminately to all who ask for charity; but He says, "Thou shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need;" and this is to be a gift, rather than a loan; for we are to "lend, hoping for nothing again." Luke 6:35. "Who gives himself with his alms feeds three, Himself, his hungering neighbor, and Me." (TFMB 69).