November 29, 2008 (SAT)

Saturday, November 29, 2008

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and Death And Hades Gave Up The Dead Which Were In Them, and everyone was judged according to their works. Rev. 20:13.

Buster was a fairly ordinary cat. Of no breed in particular, he was a delightful combination of the two characteristics that make cats so much fun. On the one hand, he was all cat. The mice, chimpmunks, squirrels, moles, and birds in the area were all intensely aware of his presence whenever he ventured outside. The "mighty hunter" strode through his domain with an air of conscious superiority. On the other hand, when he was with children he was as gentle and affectionate as if there were not a violent chromosome in his whole genetic makeup. He was greatly loved. And he was never gone from the house for more than 12 hours.

One day he disappeared. We found no trace of him for 72 hours. Our worries and fears increased by the hour after the first day or so. After three days the family gathered for a special prayer session. I can still hear my wife praying, "Lord, even if he is dying somewhere, please bring him back so we can know what happened. Send your angel to carry him back if You have to. We need to know what has happened to him."

The next morning my wife was having devotions by the front window. Suddenly she screamed, "It's Buster! It's Buster! He's back!" He's in the yard!" We all piled out of the house in various stages of dress and undress to greet the beloved wanderer. Our cat had a large hole in his side, filled with flies and maggots. With both tears and joy we realized that God had answered my wife's prayers. Buster had come home to say goodbye!

With broken hearts we gently carried him back into the house and called the vet. When treatment failed, the family went to the animal hospital to say a final goodbye. Seeing us enter, Buster struggled to his feet to greet us, then collapsed back to the floor of his cage, barely able to breathe or open his eyes. We knew that it was over. With loud wailing and two buckets of tears, the five of us expressed our love to him one last time. Although we walked out of the hospital into sunshine, the day seemed so dark.

It is comforting to know that death's days are numbered. One day we will be reunited with our loved ones, and separation will forever be a choice instead of something imposed on us. Will Buster be there too? I don't know. I know that nothing is impossible with God, but I don't know if He will preserve little pet personalities for eternity. Yet this I do know. If Buster isn't there, it is because God has something even better in store for us.

Lord, I long for the day when death "gives up." Until then, let me cherish every moment of this precious life You have given me.

He tells us to be perfect as He is, in the same manner. We are to be centers of light and blessing to our little circle, even as He is to the universe. We have nothing of ourselves, but the light of His love shines upon us, and we are to reflect its brightness. "In His borrowed goodness good," we may be perfect in our sphere, even as God is perfect in His(TFMB 77).