November 13, 2008 (THU)

Thursday, November 13, 2008

And he [the angel] said to me, "Write: Blessed Are Those Who Have Been Called To The Wedding Banquet Of The Lamb." And said to me, "These are the genuine wrods of God." Rev. 19:9

Scholars of Revelation often debate whether the bride of the Lamb is the New Jerusalem itself(Rev. 21:9-11) or the people of God. Today's passage does not mention the city here, but it does refer to the saints. The wedding dress that the bride of the Lamb wears is "the righteous actions of the saints." So the people of God certainly must have something to do with the bride. A city without inhabitants is not much of a city, so in a real sense the answer to the question of whether the bride is the city or the people must be yes.

These days we find an incereasing interest in a vegetarian diet. And it involves much more than just the issue of health. For many, foregoing a meat diet is an issure of justice (another word for righteous). If so, it ought to be of cencern to those thinking about marrying the Lamb.

Depending on what they eat, the amount of land it takes to sustain two meat-eaing individuals can feed 20-60 vegetarians. It means that if Americans alone reduced their meat comsumption by 10 percent, it would result in 12 million tons of grain for human consumption. If distribution were not an issue, that would be enough to feed the 60 million individuals who starve to death each year.

A plant-based diet also benefits the earth. One researcher argues that animal production uses more than a third of all raw materials and fossil fuels consumed in the United States. The fuel needed to produce a single hamburger patty would power the average car for 20 miles.

While water consumption has become a major concern in the age of pollution and conservations, few American consumers realize that beef production alone uses more water than that required for the nation's entire fruit and vegetable crop. One author estimates that you would save more water by not eating a pound of California beef than you would by not shwering for a year.

Everything we do touches others. From our food and clothing choices to the automobiles we drive and the vacations we take, we are affecting others, either for good or for bad. We need to evaluate all of our acitons in the light of what Jesus would do. The righteous actions of the saints include taking only what we need, giving as much as we can, and living honestly and simply. As those awaiting the call to the wedding beanquet of the Lamb, we will seek to arrange our lives in light of the righteousness of Christ. This will include attention to what we eat. 

Lord, I hear the call to practical godliness in every aspect of my life. I am open to a deeper and more righteous walk with You today.

All things come of God. We have nothing that we have not received; and, more than this, we have nothing that has not been purchased for us by the blood of Christ. Everything we possess comes to us stamped with the cross, bought with the blood that is precious above all estimate, because it is the life of God. Hence there is nothing that we have a right to pledge, as if it were our own, for the fulfillment of our word(TFMB 66).