December 10, 2008 (WED)

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

[The city] has a great and high wall, having twelve gates. And at the gates are twelve angels. And the names of the 12 tribes of the sons of Israel are written on the gates. Three gates are on the east, three on the north, three on the south, and three on the west. The wall of the city has twelve foundations, and upon them are twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Rev. 21:12-14.

Does God have an exact and detailed plan for every person's life? Is there a "best decision" out there, part of God's perfect will for my life? Or does God have many possible roads to get me to the same goal?

For some of us, finding the very best route between two points can become an obsession. I once planned a road trip from Michigan, where I live, to Florida. I noticed that all the best routes seemed to pass through Chattanooga, Tennessee, so the big issue was how to go from Michigan to Chattanooga.

I noticed that we could go down through Indianapolis to Nashville, and then across to Chattanooga. Or we could head east from Louisville through Lexington and then south through Knoxville to Chattanooga. Or we could head east from Michigan or Indianapolis into Ohio and come down through Cincinnati to Knoxville and beyond.

I counted the miles and concluded that the shortest distance between my part of Michigan and Chattanooga is thourgh Nashville. On the other hand, the stretch from South Bend to Indianapolis is painfully slow, with lots of traffic lights, and Nashville can be tough during rush hour. So if we headed east on I-80 into Ohio we could make the whole trip on superhighways. On the other hand, that route seemed to be almost 100 miles longer. On the other hand, the way through Lexington avoids Nashville, but is 40 miles longer. On the other hand. . .

Does God have the perfect route for all situations, or is the goal of our life what really counts? The goal of our lives is to develop character and be among the group that will live in the New Jerusalem. The shortest route, the easiest route, or the "best" route does not always develop character. Sometimes we achieve character only by taking a back road that leads to a detour that puts us onto some potholed, gravel road.

God know what we need better than we do. He can make the most of every route we take. The thing that really counts is where we end up. The contrast between the golden city and the lake of fire couldn't be more plain. The slain Lamb has gone before us, so what counts is to follow Him no matter where the road of life takes us.

Lord, I want to be with You in the Holy City. More than anything else I want my family and friends to be there too. Today I want You to be in charge of the map.

"When thou prayest, enter into thy closet." Have a place for secret prayer. Jesus had select places for communion with God, and so should we. We need often to retire to some spot, however humble, where we can be alone with God(TFMB 84).