오마바 미국 대통령의 취임식때 했던 취임사를 올려 드립니다.

My fellow citizens:

친애하는 국민 여러분,

I stand here today humbled by the task before us, grateful for the trust you have bestowed,
mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestors.

저는 우리 선조들의 희생을 기리는 마음으로, 여러분들이 제게 보내준 신뢰에 감사하는 마음으로,
그리고 우리 앞에 놓여진 책무를 겸허히 생각하는 마음으로 오늘 이 자리에 섰습니다.

I thank President Bush for his service to our nation, as well as the generosity and cooperation he has shown
throughout this transition.

저는 부시 대통령이 정권 인수 과정에서 보여준 아낌없는 배려와 협력, 그리고 그가 그동안 나라를 위해 헌신하신 데 대해 감사를 드립니다.

Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath.

이제 저를 포함해 마흔 네 명의 대통령이 취임선서를 하게 된 셈입니다.

The words have been spoken during rising tides of prosperity and the still waters of peace.
Yet, every so often the oath is taken amidst gathering clouds and raging storms.

많은 선서들은 떠오르는 번영의 조류와 잔잔한 평화의 물결의 시대에 행해졌지만 때로 어떤 선서는 먹구름이 잔뜩 끼고 성난 폭풍우가 몰아치는 시대에 행해지기도 합니다.

At these moments, America has carried on not simply because of the skill or vision of those in high office, but because We the People have remained faithful to the ideals of our forbearers, and true to our founding documents.

지금까지 미국은 잘 꾸려져 왔습니다. 오로지 대통령과 그 참모들의 기술이나 비전 덕분이 아니라 그들을 포함한
모든 국민들 스스로가 선조들의 이상과 건국 문서들(의 이념)에 충실했었기 때문입니다.

So it has been. So it must be with this generation of Americans.

지금껏 그래왔듯이 현 세대의 미국에서도 그래야 합니다.

That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred.

우리 모두 현재 위기의 한가운데 있다는 사실을 잘 알고 있습니다. 우리나라는 그물처럼 폭넓게 뻗은 폭력 및 증오와 전쟁 중입니다.

Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age.

우리의 경제는 일부의 탐욕과 무책임함, 그리고 새로운 시대를 준비하고 어려운 결정들을 내리는 데 있어 총체적으로 실패한 결과 매우 약해졌습니다.

These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics.

이러한 것들은 바로 각종 자료와 통계에 의존한 위기의 신호입니다.

Less measurable but no less profound is a sapping of confidence across our land - a nagging fear that America's decline is inevitable, and that the next generation must lower its sights.

쇠락을 피할 수 없다는 두려움, 다음 세대는 목표를 낮추어야 할 것이라는 두려움과 같은 미국 전역을 사로잡고 있는 자신감의 고갈은 측정하기 힘들지만 매우 심각합니다.

Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America - they will be met.

오늘 저는 여러분께 말씀드립니다. 우리가 처한 도전들은 현실이고, 심각할 뿐만 아니라, 또한 매우 많다는 것을 말입니다. 그 도전들은 쉽게 또는 짧은 기간에 해결되지는 않을 것이지만 이것만은 알아두십시오. 우리는 결국 해낼 것입니다.

On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.

오늘 우리는, 두려움보다는 희망을 선택했고, 갈등과 불화보다는 목적을 위한 단결을 선택했기 때문에 여기 모였습니다.

On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics.

오늘 우리는, 우리의 정치를 오랫동안 옥죄어왔던 사소한 불만들과 거짓 공약들,  상호비방과 낡은 독단론들에 종식을 선언하기 위해 여기에 왔습니다.