The morning Manna will be provided at 6am. Thanks.

Studying Ephesians in the SSnet.org series Lesson 10, may the Holy Spirit be the speaker to your heart.

The Topic today is: Ephesians 5 for Nicolas de Lyre 1320 who influenced Martin Luther 1523 for Morning Manna of the Sabbath School Lesson Ephesians.

The Opening Hymn will be 229 "Spirit of the Living God".

The Sabbath School Quarterly, downloadable from SSnet.org in the Teacher's Edition is on page 133ff. Comments by Phillipine professor.

The SSnet.org allows anyone, anywhere to read the lesson in their own language. Choose your own language to see God speaking also to your heart.

Why don’t you click on this link right now:

https://www.adultbiblestudyguide.org/pdf.php?file=2023:3Q:SE:PDFs:EAQ323_010.pdf

---Most people do not know it but Martin Luther had his sources of commentaries that he consulted.

---One such commentary is the Bible commentary or Biblia Postilia of Nicolas de Lyre. I downloaded the Google version of it from the Bibliotheca Regia Monacensis online.

---He was citing so many times from Nicolas that one of his colleagues said about Martin, “If the Lyre does not play, Martin does not know how to dance”.

---On Ephesians 5, and the Biblia Postilia in Latin can be downloaded, type it out and go to Latin-English translation and see, you can read it. Come-on medical doctors, you can do it. Dentists too!

---So Nicolas said on Ephesians 5 that “Be ye also imitators of the apostles and apostles, in the manner of the word.” And a little further he said “Be ye imitators of God, the children of the dear children,” and a little further he said “...imitate Christ...through good works for the increase of charity. (as he loved you from the cross).”

---We come to Luther soon, but in cuneiform texts, the Fall of man and losing of immortality is dealt with by Moses in Genesis 3, correct? But there are hints of the same in the Adapa cuneiform Myth from a town called Amarna which originated about 50 years after the death of Moses in 1410 BC.

---It is a school copy of the Babylonian Myth at this Egyptian town to teach the students how to study Babylonian. Moses lived in Egypt a century before and also learned Babylonian!

---Now when the Israelites lived in Niniveh after the Exile there in 723 BC, two generations later Jewish Scribes worked in the Library and copied the Adapa Myth for the Assyrian Librarian. Line 9 of this 650 BC Adapa Myth copy during the days of Assyrian King Ashurbanipal 668-628 BC, read: “Blameless with clean hands anointed observer of the divine statutes”. It is as if one reads Psalm 119! Maybe a Jewish scribe?

---So Paul studied Moses very well and knew all about Deuteronomy who says the same as the Adapa Myth in line 9, so did David in Psalm 1, and Psalm 15 and Psalm 24, correct?

---At Niniveh again Jewish young Scribes who had to write the cuneiform Hemerological texts during the same time, told the king that he should not cook on the Sabbath, every seventh day, the gods do not want it.

---It means, Jewish cooks were off and cook not on Sabbath as Moses asked them to do in Exodus, correct?

---Also, the scribe wrote in these cuneiform Hemero [=day] texts to the king that if he wants to approach the gods, he must eat only vegetarian and no pig and no mice! Hello Adventists. No ham, no vienas, crab, no mollusca shells in the soup. No dogmeat or boshingtang. Hello!

---So Paul knew all about this and pack it into Ephesians 5.

---And the eye of Nicolas de Lyre who wrote the commentary on the Bible in Latin in 1320 did not miss it.

---Good works you need to do. He said.

---So what about Luther? Martin Luther?

---chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.cma-ministries.org/Studies/ephesians_Cheung.pdf

Ephesians 5 by Martin Luther

In this case, Paul urges us to "Be imitators of God…and live a life of love." Following God's own example, we must "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.“

---Luther on Galatians 5 “Paul does not condemn circumcision in itself. Circumcision is not injurious to the person who does not ascribe any particular importance to it. Neither are works injurious provided a person does not attach any saving value to them. The Apostle does not say that works are objectionable, but to build one's hopes for righteousness on works is disastrous, for that makes Christ good for nothing."

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1549/1549-h/1549-h.htm

---Luther said “When I was a monk I tried ever so hard to live up to the strict rules of my order. I used to make a list of my sins, and I was always on the way to confession, and whatever penances were enjoined upon me I performed religiously. In spite of it all, my conscience was always in a fever of doubt. The more I sought to help my poor stricken conscience the worse it got. The more I paid attention to the regulations the more I transgressed them.”

---Luther on Ephesians 5:6 “Faith must of course be sincere. It must be a faith that performs good works through love. If faith lacks love it is not true faith. Thus the Apostle bars the way of hypocrites to the kingdom of Christ on all sides.”

---Luther on Ephesians 5:7 “But if we abide in the true doctrine and walk in the spirit, we have nothing to worry about. God judges our lives differently.”

----Luther on Ephesians 5:8 “The Scriptures present Christ in a twofold aspect. First, as a gift. "He of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification and redemption." (I Cor. 1:30.) Hence my many and grievous sins are nullified if I believe in Him. Secondly, the Scriptures present Christ for our example. As an exemplar He is to be placed before me only at certain times. In times of joy and gladness that I may have Him as a mirror to reflect upon my shortcomings. But in the day of trouble I will have Christ only as a gift. I will not listen to anything else, except that Christ died for my sins.”

---Luther on Ephesians 5:9 “Small faults grow into big faults. To tolerate a trifling error inevitably leads to crass heresy. The doctrine of the Bible is not ours to take or to allow liberties with. We have no right to change even a tittle of it. When it comes to life we are ready to do, to suffer, to forgive anything our opponents demand as long as faith and doctrine remain pure and uncorrupt. The Apostle James says, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." Amen says Sabbath keeping Adventists.

---Luther again: “Let us not be influenced by the popular cry for charity and unity. If we do not love God and His Word what difference does it make if we love anything at all?”

---Are we just reading justification by faith without works in Luther? Is that what your pastor is preaching to you? He need to wake up. Right?

---Tell him to properly read the commentaries of Luther especially the most popular one, Commentary on Galatians. When? Immediately.