Clearing 1888 reflections of false concepts

---It is a false idea that 1888 was a paradigm shift in Adventism from “legalism” to “more Christ approach”.

Why? The source of A. V. Olson cited many cases of a proper understanding of Salvation by Christ and no salvation in one’s own works.

Righteousness by Faith and necessity of Christ was preached Ellen White on the following dates before 1888:

Profession Not Enough: Review and Herald, Jan. 25, 1887, p. 491.

Too Much Formality: Ibid., Feb. 15, 1887, p. 97.

Like the Pretentious Fig Tree: Ibid.

A Revival of True Godliness: Ibid., March 22, 1887, pp. 177, 178.

Pretended or Real Connection With Christ: Ibid., Dec. 13, 1887, p.

The Presence of Jesus Needed: Ibid., April 17, 1888, p. 242.

The Solemn Question how we stand before God: Ibid., July 24, 1888, p. 465.

Arguments Not Enough: Ibid., Aug. 28, 1888, p. 546.

Source: A. V. Olson, Through Crisis to Victory 1966 online downloaded from https://documents.adventistarchives.org/Books/TCV1966.pdf

----------------------------------

---It is a false idea to say that Adventism rejected the message of Righteousness by Faith at 1888.

Why? There were three groups listening to the messages of Waggoner and Jones: those who accept it, those who countered it and those who were just floating along without expression of feelings.

A T Jones on 7th of February 1893 at the GC at Battle Creek:

"I know that some there [at Mineapolis 1888] accepted it; others rejected it entirely. . . . Others tried to stand half way between, and get it that way." —General Conference Bulletin, 1893, p. 185.

---Truth is that there were differences of opinion (A. V. Olson 1966 p. 36).

-----------------------------------

The three groups differentiation of ideas is also mentioned by A. G. Daniels

A. G. Daniells—who was then a successful young worker in New Zealand, but who thirteen years later (1901) became president of the General Conference, and who continued to be president for twenty-one years—observes in his book Christ Our Righteousness:

"The message was not received alike by all who attended the Conference; in fact, there was serious difference of opinion concerning it among the leaders. This division of opinion may be classified as follows:

"Class 1.—Those who saw great light in it and gladly accepted it. . . .

"Class 2.—There were some, however, who felt uncertain about the 'new teaching,' as they termed it. They seemed unable to grasp it... .

"Class 3.—But there were others who were decidedly opposed to the presentation of the message."—Edition of 1926, pp. 56, 57; ed. of 1941, pp. 41, 42.

--------------------------------------

---It is a false idea that Ellen White supported every theology of Waggoner (37 years old) and Jones (33 years old) 

Why? “Dr. Waggoner has spoken to us in a straightforward manner. There is precious light in what he has said. Some things presented in reference to the law in Galatians, if I fully understand his position, do not harmonize with the understanding I have had of this subject; but truth will lose nothing by investigation….”

Also she said about the hermeneutics of Waggoner the following:

Some interpretations of Scripture given by Dr. Waggoner I do not regard as correct. But I believe him to be perfectly honest in his views, and I would respect his feelings and treat him as a Christian gentleman.”

Manuscript 15, 1888. See Appendix A, pages 294-302, for the full sermon. Olson page 54

-------------------------------------

---Ellen White says the Message of 1888 is unto Holiness

"The present message—justification by faith—is a message from God; it bears the divine credentials, for its fruit is unto holiness." —Review and Herald, Sept. 3, 1889, p. 545.

---Ellen White says the fullness of the Godhead is in Christ 1890 reflecting on 1888

"Messages bearing the divine credentials have been sent to God's people; the glory, the majesty, the righteousness of Christ, full of goodness and truth, have been presented; the fullness of the Godhead in Jesus Christ has been set forth among us with beauty and loveliness, to charm all whose hearts were not closed with prejudice. ---Review and Herald, May 27, 1890, p. 321.

---It is not a new message for Ellen White since she has been preaching it for 40/45 years

" 'I have had the question asked, What do you think of this light that these men are presenting? Why, I have been presenting it to you for the last forty-five years—the matchless charms of Christ. This is what [I] have been trying to present before your minds. When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in Minneapolis, it was the first clear teaching on this subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the conversations between myself and my husband.' "—Manuscript 5, 1889, pp. 9, 10. See her words at the camp meeting held at Rome, New York, on June 17, 1889.

------------------------------------

---Ellen White’s agenda for the Message of 1888 was differing from Waggoner and Jones

"The doctrine of justification by faith has been lost sight of by many who have professed to believe the third angel's message. . . .

"God has raised up men to meet the necessity of this time. . . . Their work is not only to proclaim the law, but to preach the truth for this time,—the Lord our righteousness."August 13, 1889, p. 514; in Selected Messages, book 1, pp. 360, 361. (Italics supplied.)

---She is concerned with the “backsliding attitudes of attendees at the conference”.

---She consider Waggoner and Jones to preach law but also gospel.

----It was not new light that Waggoner and Jones brought, said Ellen White

Why? “This was no new light, but it was old light placed where it should be in the third angel's message. . . .

"The faith of Jesus has been overlooked and treated in an indifferent, careless manner. It has not occupied the prominent position in which it was revealed to John.”

"Looking Back at Minneapolis," Manuscript 24, 1888 (written about November or December, 1888.

To Summarize: So what did Ellen White support in the men's message of 1888?

---The enthusiasm of the Message. The honest presentation of the Message. The emphasis of the Message of uplifting Christ. The attitude of the two presenters of the Message. The appeal of the Message as timely needed due to backsliding and carelessness to this message that she has been writing about for 45 years. But, she did not accept their theology of the Message. She had differences with the biblical content of their Message, as she explicitly said above in statements.