Devotional Short Note to Psalm 42: Korah wrote this Psalm about himself in agony of suppression it seems. He is seemingly not where he wants to be and wants to be where he cannot. From what we gather in the text, he is in the land of Jordan but near the Hermons (plural) near the hill Miz’ar (42:7b-c). It almost appeared as if one has to look for him near Hermon and thus in the upper Jordan valley or the Huleh Basin which is between Dan and Hazor north of the Sea of Galilee. “From the hill, from Miz’ar”. Where this hill is in the basin, is hard to say. He is also near strong brooks or cataracts which is known for flushfloods “to the voice of Your cataracts” (tsinoreka) (42:8a-b). It must be a strong flowing brook in rainy season, near Hermon, on a hill, in the Jordan valley and called Miz’ar.

That he is oppressed can be seen in the words “under the oppression of the enemy” (42:10b); “my adversaries taunt me” (42:11a). He cries with tears (42:4a) and mourn (42:10b). Imperialistic or colonialistic oppression by thoughtless overseers or administrators of one’s affairs can be a painful experience. It also appears that they are maybe laborers that cannot often go to the house of the Lord but on this day, it was a holiday (42:5c) and with a group he finds himself sitting around secularized countrymen whom he wish and prays “lead them unto the house of God with the voice of joy and praise, a multitude feasting.”

They are talking agnostic mocking things to Korah: “While they say unto me all the day: ‘Where is your God?” (42:4b; 42:11b). In the last reference it is his adversaries that mock him all day. He would not pray that his adversaries would go up to the house of God since their attitude to God is not right. So his prayer in 42:5b is probably his co-laborers that are also supposed to be “spiritual Israel”. The struggle here is how to be faithful in the workspace amid others who mock God and the faithful dreading conditions (42:4) or making conditions dreadful for all (adversaries) (42:11a-b).

In this context, Korah’s soul is in agony and restless. His only stability and peace is God but in such circumstances of mocking from laborers within and oppressors without that he is searching for God and longing to have fellowship with Him (42:2). His soul is thirsty for God, for the “living God” and his soul sings: “Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up Lord. Come and quench this thirsting of my soul”. “When shall I come and appear before God?” (42:3b). Scholars said that maybe he wanted to God to the temple of Jerusalem but could not go.

Are we desiring to come to church and do we cry day and night because we can’t visit the house of prayer and fellowship? “Hope to God for I shall for yet (kî ‘ôd) praise Him the salvation of my face/appearance and my God” (42:12c-d).