Lessons from the life of Job

We have spent 12 weeks on the life of Job.

What a difficult study it has been.

A good friend of mine, Koot van Wyk made the following statement:

Anyone who claims to speak with confidence about the Book of Job, did not really study it properly.

Only Moses, Job, JESUS and THE HOLY SPIRIT can speak with confidence. Anyone else, including myself, should be on our knees with humbleness awaiting the leading of THE HOLY SPIRIT.

I agree with Koot.

This study has just made us fall on our knees in humility, awaiting the HOLY SPIRIT’s guiding in our understanding.

Let us now humbly recap and see what we have learned in the last 12 weeks.

A – Satan exists, and evil exists 

There is a devil.

He has given us each a “virus” that we inherited from Eve. Thus the devil does not need to personally chase us, we are born with evil tendencies. 

The solution is not only the riddance of Satan, but also a total overhaul of us earthlings. GOD needs to rid us of the virus that we are born with.

We each URGENTLY need a rebirth now and a total remake at HIS second coming.

B – Satan uses friends

We humans have an inborn urge to put others right.

We like to use our religion to sort others out. And just like Jobs friends – that is when we get ourselves into trouble.

GOD said that all of Jobs friends misrepresented HIM.

May that never be said of you and me.

C – Suffering is not fair

Yes not one human is immune to suffering.

It has or will hit every one of us.

BUT – the story of Job teaches us that there is something beyond suffering.

D – GOD can Judge all humans accurately

From where GOD sits HE sees and understands far more that we can imagine.

We see that HE is in control and we are like miniature ants trying to make sense of what is not understandable.

With Job we see that HE sees all and is able to judge us accurately.

E – Satan goes all out

Satan will do all in his power to discredit and defame GOD.

He is out to create chaos for each one of us that breathe in GOD’s creation.

F – Religion is incapable

Established religion is not always reliable, your relationship with GOD is what will carry you through in difficult circumstances.

G – Satan’s Attack

Satan’s attack against Job is a direct attack against GOD.

Satan accused GOD that HE misreads Jobs heart, HE does not really know what is going on in the life of Job.

This is a veiled attack from Satan to GOD – who he believes misread his own (Satan’s) heart and kicked him out of heaven and this was wrong.

After chapter two Satan takes a back seat as he has played all his cards to no avail, he has no more arsenal left and starts using Job’s four friends to break Job down and to cause doubt.

H – Dialogue with GOD  

Job sought dialogue with GOD about his predicament. Job dared to be frustrated with GOD – the amazing thing is that GOD never corrected Job as this being inappropriate. HE did not judge this as being wrong.

This encourages us to ask GOD some straight questions.

Job’s greatest anxiety was that he could not talk to GOD as normally. Although the external things were horrible, and his losses were bad, the lack of communication was his biggest bother. 

I – Never Give Up

Job in all his trials – never gave up seeking his relationship with GOD.

Even though in deep pain and loss – he continued to communicate with GOD. In his mind he was actively processing his sad situation and desperately sought answers from GOD.

Job trusted that GOD was big enough to handle his frustration and his longing to chat with GOD. GOD never took offence while Job was insisting on a conversation.

Here we learn that no matter what happens to us – let us never cease communication with GOD about whatever our problem is.

Let us trust GOD enough that even when we don’t understand, we can moan and groan towards GOD, and we can seek comfort from HIM, you can through a tantrum.

Just keep clinging to GOD through difficult times – you will be rewarded in the end.

J – Don’t Quote Jobs Friends 

Christians tend to quote Jobs friends and not Job.

We feel uncomfortable to quote what Job said, except for Job 19:25, as what he said feels to us as bordering close to blasphemy – yet GOD never took offense – because Job never cut GOD out – he clung to GOD with all he had and pursued his faith relationship with GOD.

Job said many things – he lost 10 kids – he lost an entire estate worth millions – we can’t expect Job to express himself in an admirable way – and amazingly GOD understood.

K – Romans 8

Paul teaches us that GOD does not condemn us. Who is the one to condemn? It is the Messiah Jesus who is interceding on our behalf. He died, and more importantly, has been raised and is seated at the right hand of God. Verse 34

He is actively interceding for us – not condemning us.

Christianity as a whole represents GOD as a condemning GOD.

L – Never Judge

The story about Job teaches us to never judge anyone.

The circumstances are just to complex for us humans to understand. We have no idea what is happening on the plane where GOD operates from.

M – Wisdom in Numbers

Many believe that there is wisdom in a multitude of councilors.

This time his four friends were wrong.

Sometimes we have to rely on our personal relationship and conviction and our own experiences with GOD.

His friends were more of a blessing when they said nothing for seven days than when they started talking.

They had the best intentions, but their usefulness ended when they gave advice and started to criticize Job.

We have all fallen away equally from the light, no amount of chatting and advice will be helpful.

N – Being Comforting

Most of the things that we say while trying to comfort others is damaging.

Examples are:

• GOD must have had a purpose

• Don’t worry you will have another child

• This must have been GOD’s will

• GOD allowed it

Saying these things, even though some are true – is more damaging than comforting.

• It is better to just be there and shut up

• Less is more

O – Need of Friends

A positive is that his friends did not withdraw like his family did. But they needed to just be there and should have given Job more space.

We need friends more during suffering than otherwise.

Do not distance yourself when a friend is going through a hard time, that will make him feel forsaken and that no one cares.

Sit there, be there, show compassion – but say the absolute minimum. Your presence is encouraging and strengthens.

Many present can help to carry a load that would normally have crushed the individual.

This loving presence will cause him to see GOD’s love for him and for one another.

Rejoice with those who rejoice and cry with those who cry.

Remember that joy shared is joy doubled and sorrow shared is sorrow halved.

Religion is not only between me and GOD. The power of community is greater than we realise.

Chapter 2 shows that the horizontal dimension is equally important to the vertical dimension.

It was never GOD’s intention that humans go through life alone. No one can bear the burdens of life alone. You as an individual can’t reach your potential alone.

By people we are hurt and by people we are healed.

When you don’t need other people – your GOD is too small.

GOD works through other people.

P – GOD’s Grace

It is wonderful to see how GOD speaks well of Job.

Job is a demonstration of what GOD can accomplish through HIS grace.

GOD is demonstrating HIS trust in Job – HE knows that Job will come out right. He will survive all this.

Q – Job’s Relationship with GOD

There was no Bible then, yet Job had all this insight into GOD’s character. This is remarkable.

The fact that Job craved to talk to GOD proves that he had an excellent relationship with GOD before these bad times struck him. There is no way that he would otherwise have had these insights.

GOD must have had a strong and deep relationship with Job and it is obvious that they must have had an effective auditory communication as well.

R – Reality

The story of Job reveals a reality behind the visual. We see a definite force of evil – like holocausts, major human atrocities, tsunamis, earth quakes, floods etc… these all go beyond the capacity of evil that one human can muster against society.

In the book of Job we see an inherently good GOD – that is absolutely trustworthy. And then we see another power that is inherently deceiving and evil to the core. With this insight into an evil force and when we know GOD as a loving GOD - we will never attribute any calamities to GOD.

Atrocities and calamities are irreconcilable with a positive image of GOD.

GOD does not orchestrate that a bus full of children end up in a dam and all occupants drown. HE does not order the tsumani to roll in. We saw clearly that Satan has access to these powers over nature.

The reality is that the Biblical narrative explains that there is a good GOD out there, but there is also an enemy that wishes to destroy us.

With this knowledge we are equipped to not lose faith in our Good GOD. GOD does not give us cancer. In Romans 8 we see that GOD will use circumstances to cause good in the end.

GOD does not do and orchestrate destructive and evil acts. This is a very important point and goes against the world view of GOD.

S – Satan’s Accusation

Satan’s accusation was that no one is going to serve YOU for who YOU are. They worship YOU because they will get something benefit from it.

Satan answered the LORD, "But Job has a good reason to respect you. You always protect him, his family, and everything he has. You have blessed him and made him successful in everything he does. He is so wealthy that his herds and flocks are all over the country. But if you were to destroy everything he has, I promise you that he would curse you to your face." Job 1:9-11

A man will give everything he has to protect himself. I swear, if you attack his flesh and bones, he will curse YOU to YOUR face!" Job 2:4,5

Job’s strong faith in his GOD proves Satan wrong.

We need to reject the negative perspective that all are evil and that nothing good exists in this world.

T – Righteousness

The concept of righteousness in the book of Job is clear. GOD recognizes Job as righteous.

Job was a man just like us humans today. Born with a sinful nature and one that he worked on and shaped so that it was acceptable to GOD. This is very encouraging. Especially as we discover in the story that Job had many misconceptions of who GOD was.

His understanding of GOD was not a hundred present correct and still GOD saw him as righteous. This is a hopeful reality. You don’t have to be perfect for GOD to see you as perfect – HIS grace makes up for that which the law requires.

This is where Calvinism is very discouraging – you see yourself as absolutely lost and utterly sinful. Your shortcomings are mega failures in GOD’s eyes.

GOD sees differently to how we see.

It is easy to be negative about GOD when you misinterpret how GOD sees right through you. Take the Samaritan woman as an example – imagine JESUS saying “who do you think you are, lying to the Son of GOD” – JESUS gave her a positive answer.

We can be perfect in our intentions and have well-meaning desires. Then we will grow and have meaningful relations with others. Job was willing to grow. That is when GOD stepped in and helped Job take the next step. And that was restoration of all he had before and much more. GOD restored his family and restored his relationships with family and friends.

In these intentions Job was as close to perfect as possible. That is why GOD could say “Here is a righteous man”

No pain, no gain, no growth.

Dear friend, how is the pain that you are currently going through helping you to grow.

If GOD grants all our requests, to thereby shield us from all painful experiences – HE will not form a mature balanced people that understand HIS character.

We can’t use our religion to escape the reality of pain and loss in this broken world.

U – Chaos

If Satan was allowed free rein – there would be chaos on this globe. He gets sadistic pleasure inflicting pain and suffering on us.

Can you imagine what type of universe Satan would run and administer?

He gets pleasure in seeing evil triumph.

Romans 8 does not say ALL THINGS WORK OUT FOR GOOD. Most things in life will not work out for good. The text does not say that all will end up good.

GOD works in all things that happen for the good of those that HE loves.   Verse 28

What does GOD do to those who love HIM not?

Matt 5:44, 45 reads: But I tell you, love your enemies. Pray for those who treat you badly. If you do this, you will be children who are truly like your Father in heaven. He lets the sun rise for all people, whether they are good or bad. He sends rain to those who do right and to those who do wrong.

How does HE treat those who do not love HIM – just the same!!!!

This is the opposite of the picture that the world wants you to believe.

V – View Of GOD

It is vitally important how you and I view GOD.

We must know that HE is good down to the core.

We must know that we are safe with HIM.

We must know that we are loved.

We must know that HE has a way for us forward no matter what happens now.

We must know that HE will help us to live productive lives.

We must know that HE will work good out of our circumstances.

W – View of Evil

This approach and view of GOD – changes our view of evil and the bad things that happen to us.

Because now we will not be afraid of anything.

Things might be uncomfortable – but we can still have joy, knowing that GOD is with us and that good will come out of this.

We are not alone. Heb 13:5

GOD does not let something bad happen to you so that can grow.

• Some bad things we unwittingly bring onto ourselves.

• Sometimes it is because of choices that we have made.

• But we are safe.

GOD is more committed to your growth than your comfort. What car you drive, where you live, your health, your success – is less important to GOD than your spirituality.

X – Different Level of reality

When we read Job chapters 1, 2, 41 and 42 – we will grasp what is happening on a different level of reality.

We can never explain everything that happens now. It is during the Millennium that things will start to become clear. Where we can ask questions and receive the answers and clarity.

Y – Walk in Faith

“..blessings belong to the people who believe without seeing me!" John 20:29

Blessings belong to those who still trusted when things were not clear.

We are to walk in faith not by sight. The reality is bigger than we see here on earth. We dare not make conclusions when we only see a segment of reality. What we know is only know a very small part of what we don’t know.

We can never make sweeping conclusions. Nothing is clear to us humans.  

There is the one reality that we live and operate in. But there is another reality that exists that Job and we do not have a good understanding of.

Why things happen - we can’t answer.

Z – GOD finally Appears 

When GOD finally appears to JOB – HE does not explain a thing to Job.

GOD just reveals HIMSELF.

Job finds comfort in HIS revelation that HE is the creator.  

Do you think you have a problem Job? Look what I must contend with. The behemoth and the beast that I must attend to.

This is a universal problem Job – your problem is local.

GOD reveals that HE is bigger than these massive destructive animals. But HE does not use HIS power to deal with this problem.

Job 40:15 Behemoth – dinosaur like animal is selected as a manifestation of Satan’s power.

Job 41:1 Leviathan - crocodile like features selected as a manifestation of Satan’s power.

GOD has Satan to deal with.

No one is brave enough to wake him up and make him angry. "Well, no one can challenge me either! I owe nothing to anyone. Everything under heaven belongs to me.Job 41:10-11

This is encouraging to Job. GOD will deal with Satan.

Job 41:12-34 This represents the “Warrior Messiah’s Superior Power” and the writer Moses is sketching a word picture of an extremely strong animal - but HE out-powers the Behemoth and Leviathan, which is a symbol of Satan.

Job is going to be satisfied with GOD’s strength. It is HIS own strength that HE wants Job to understand.

CHRIST is victorious and KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS with no animal like entity stronger than HIMSELF.

GOD points out the beauty of creation and putting HIS power aside HE is endlessly good, uncontrollably generous, and irrationally loving. For this is who GOD is. GOD gives no reason for all that has happened, but gives Job a glimpse of what is going to happen.

Job responds I talked about things I did not understand. I talked about things too amazing for me to know. "You said to me, 'Listen, and I will speak. I will ask you questions, and you will answer me.' In the past I heard about you, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. And I am ashamed of myself. I am so sorry. As I sit in the dust and ashes, I promise to change my heart and my life." Job 42:3-6

ZA – Job’s Daughters

Job names his three daughters but not his sons.

There are possible insights here.

This is an important change in what culturally normally happens. Especially when the daughters are also allowed to also inherit.

The eldest daughter is named Jemimah – this means dove - a prized bird for its beauty.

The next daughter is named Keziah – this means cinnamon – a prized spice.

The last daughter is named Keren-Happuch – this means horn of eye shadow – a prized cosmetic box.

All three names are connected with the beauty of GOD’s creation.

Why does GOD include his daughters in the inheritance?

Because Job is delighted in giving to even the least strategic of the creatures because he is now like his GOD who gives and gives out of pure love. Job now rejoices about what he has as GOD rejoiced about HIS creation.

GOD is GOOD – Job is good.

GOD is GRACIOUS – Job is gracious.

GOD is LOVING – Job is loving.

GOD is GENEROUS – Job is generous.

GOD GIVES – Job gives.

GOD gives for no reason – Job gives for no reason.

Job learned this from GOD.

Satan accused GOD that do YOU think that someone would worship and serve YOU for who YOU are?

Job did. Job is imitating GOD directly.

Satan was wrong about GOD. Wrong about human rights and wrong about life.

This wonderful book of Job was written to show us that our destinies are in GOD’s hand. It was not written because GOD and Satan took a wager or made a bet – there was no wager or bet. GOD clearly said I see you have Job in your sights to take him on. (this is the correct translation, refer to last weeks study)

When we don’t understand things we can cling with blind faith to GOD and love and continue to be nice and gracious to others.

We all live in the land of Uz.

Bad things happen to all – we can’t avoid that.

This book says DON’T GIVE UP.

This book says HANG ONTO GOD.

This book says KEEP GOING.

This book says NEVER QUIT.

Just as GOD came through and spoke to Job, so will HE came down from the upper realm to our realm and lived in our midst, as a man, HE suffered and died for us – so that each one of us reading here – can live in the upper realm where GOD is. Where there is no suffering.

Just hold on – you are on a universal stage – a theatron – and someone will be blessed because you did not give up.

Your life has cosmic significance.

How you live matters.

GOD says HE is proud of your life, because you understand HIS character and copy HIM as Job did.

Moses achieved what he set out to do in the epic literary masterpiece.

If you lose anything in life, there is a GOD in heaven that has you in HIS heart and what is happening may be for the heavenly theater.

If you wait patiently and prayerfully upon THE LORD, HE will improve your case even better than before.

Dear friend - please never ever forget – There is nothing that man or the world can take away from YOU that GOD won't restore to YOU tenfold and more, if YOU are faithful and endure to the end.

Gideon Pelser ………… gideonpelser@gmail.com …………… 31 December 2016

Pursuing my life passion to study and teach THE WORD OF GOD

Please share.

You are free to:

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • Use for any purpose as long as it promotes the KINGDOM OF GOD.

Sources:

Bible Study Guide, Third & Fourth Quarter 2016.

Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible.

Albert Barnes notes on the Bible.

Jon Pauline.

Koot van Wyk.

The Review and Herald.

The Ministry Magazine.

SDA Bible Commentary.

Writings of Ellen White

To subscribe to receive the weekly study and occasional devotionals send an e-mail message with SUBSCRIBE” in the body of the message to: gideonpelser@gmail.com