Aramaic Inscription of Deir `Alla

koot van wyk (DLitt et Phil; ThD)

Kyungpook National University

Sangju Campus

South Korea

Conjoint lecturer of Avondale College

Australia

16 December 2010

One of the most fascinating finds in Jordan was the Aramaic inscription at Deir `Alla. What makes this inscription so valuable, is that the biblical name Bileam bar Beor is used in it. I first heard about this inscription in 1984 when I met William Shea. A remarkable professor with inscriptions. What is to follow is my own combination of the Deir `Alla inscription. In 1989 I gave this concept also to Emile Puech at the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem.

After many months of trying to fit the puzzle it was transliterated and then translated. At that stage I had a BA in Semitic Languages. Just enough to keep me busy. It is possible that if I do it again, I might come up with adjustments. But for now, here it is.

The date of the inscription has been disputed and range between the seventh century BCE to the fifth century BCE.

Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 b.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 c.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 d.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 e.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 f.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 g.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 h.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 i.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 j.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 k.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 l.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 m.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 n.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 o.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 p.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 q.jpg Deir Alla Inscription Van Wyk 1984 r.jpg