koot van wyk (DLitt et Phil; ThD)

Visiting Professor

Kyungpook National University

Sangju Campus

South Korea

Conjoint lecturer of Avondale College

Australia

19 April 2011

I will shortly explain what I found in Romans 14. It appears that verses 4 and 5 are connected. It appears to be a case of an overbearing elite Christian who was judging the Christian houseworker of another elite Christian concerning the issue of quantity of labor time and volume of labor time.

Hope you enjoy the analysis in the Greek with translation and comments by myself. The vegetable eating houseworker is weak, not because vegetarianism makes people weak, but because the Romans also followed a similar practice that was known among the Babylonian hemerological texts, in which on certain public days, the court and the elite connected to it, were expected not to eat any meat, only vegetables, for the good fortune of the ruler. When a Christian houseworker then eats only vegetables, he is weak since he does not realize that idols are nothing and their requirements as well. He can eat all, all in the sense of what is biblically permitted with the same sensitivity as Peter in Acts 10 and Leviticus 11.

Romans 14 aa 001.jpg Romans 14 aa 001greek.jpg