Mysterious works of God through “Spirit of Prophecy”: (Part 2)

5 Sabbath Schools born in Muutine/Kangeta, Kenya, 300km north of Nairobi;

My dear friends around the world!

In Part 1, Maha Mission reported how great works were done by “the Spirit of Prophecy” books, donated by EGPA in Korea. Maha further visited for 3 days all 5 Sabbath Schools which were created as a direct result of crusade with this SOP, 3 more churches, and SDA Primary School.

In Part 2, we will report on; “Kalutine” Sabbath School (Now became already an organized church), Divine Worship Service on Sabbath and baptism over 100 souls.

On Friday late afternoon, June 11th, we visited “Kalutine” SDA church, formerly a Sabbath School without notice. Church is renting about 40 sq.meters storage-like space and there were about 15 thin wooden benches, those were all. It was smelly a little bit due to inadequate ventilation but when we opened all front doors wide, timely sunset beam was reaching to end of church. This has attracted 20-30 neighborhood children who were interested in “Mujungu” (non-black).

We asked Pastor Zacharia to invite them all in, but all of them ran away. 5 minutes later they all came back, they could not resist curiosity, and this time they all were invited in. We meant to pray for this church and leave soon, but asked children if they were members of this church. None of them were, and it was first time in their life to be in any kind of church. Although our church was never like any church in building space, we felt urge to tell them of Jesus.

If they believe in Jesus, they all can go to heaven even after they have died. They have to come to church and believe in Jesus to go to heaven (?).

Minha Kim, a nurse from Korea, writes; (pardon, poor translation!)

I always loved children…but since in Africa it became as if I do not. One day I approached a very lovely looking little child to get acquainted. I thought we can become friends easily cause I knew of how to. Now even before we get acquainted this little child started to cry to embarrass me. Closer I get to him louder he cried and I felt sorry to him. I wanted to apologize but the situation did not allow me to. Maybe “Mujungu” (non-black) he might have seen first time in his life could have looked menacing.

Everywhere we may go African children come around to look at us. Probably we looked strange to them because of different skin color. But not anyone dares easily to come close. They are busy talking to their friends at distance, but on the other hand they look to be afraid, worried, strange and shy.

Thus now my willingness to get close to children became less positive. I became very careful not to remain in their memory as horrible and fearful experience. Therefore, when we visit villages and churches I do not say anything to them but continue to smile at them. As time pass children may come closer carefully. Then they may start touching my face, hairs etc., and share with friends of their experience of venture.

Like yesterday we continued to visit Sabbath Schools, born of crusade using “Spirit of Prophecy” books.

Finally we came to “Kalutine” Sabbath School and it is a very small space with several long wooden benches, that’s all. You cannot tell it is a church from outside.

Surely even today, without a miss, neighborhood children come around, to look at us, praying and singing hymns in a humble storage-like space with curiosity. They just did not have courage to come in, we know. We asked Kenyan pastor to invite them in, and then they all ran away, before they braved to come in cautiously ones by twos after a while. Suddenly there were 20-30 children sitting almost overlap each other on benches.

Their big eyes (you know, all African children have beautiful eyes) were with full attention to “Mujungu”’s children sermon. He says, toward end of sermon, we all believe in Jesus (? to them) and we all go to heaven together, meet there to live forever happily, all of them somehow pleasantly nodded their head. Later they even raised their hands in agreement as you may see in attached photos. My heart became very hot, “Yes! When we all meet in heaven, do not be afraid of different skin color but play games each other and have a lot of fun as if we knew for a long time!”

As these children’s faith, I also wish to meet all of them in heaven obeying all Jesus said. Then I want to show all my love what I am not able to do now.

A day later, June 12, Sabbath, 3 children came to far away “Community Park” where we were having outdoor joint Divine Worship Service. One woman and a man who were present in “Kalutine” church have decided to be baptized and they were baptized on Sabbath. (No comment, we were guests)

“Kalutine” started as Sabbath school in September, 2009, already in January, 2010, they were approved to be organized. Every member of this church eagerly wants to share their faith with others, and every one of them is missionaries. In a small land which was donated, they plan to build a new church, plan another crusade very soon, etc. We are sure God will bless this church and its members.

Sabbath, June 12, 2010, in a beautiful community park, about 1,200 Adventists gathered for joint worship service, 14 SDA churches and 7 Sabbath schools. Many of them could not make it because it is too far to walk. In the morning, there were preparations for about 120 baptismal candidates. Also joint Sabbath school lesson studies.

Four choirs served in typical African appealing voice and praising God, message was on Mt.4:4  “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” (NKJV)  Humans need food to extend their lives, but what is more essential is not to break away from God. God has put eternity in our hearts (Eccl 3:11) and urge everybody to rejoice in living for eternal life because “…whatever God does it shall be forever. ”Mrs. Ellen G. White gave Adventists capability to discern end time; Adventists should live through prophetic guidance. Thus, we pray all members in Muutine who accepted Jesus through “Spirit of Prophecy” continues to live sanctified living which will glorify God until Jesus comes again.

Everyone brought their own lunch, which was all put under cool shades of big tree. After lunch, they all headed to baptismal river, 3-4km away, in a narrow valley. Two pastors, Mbirithi and Zacharia, were busy baptizing so many souls, close to a 100 or so. Some did not make it; maybe it was too far to walk. We missionaries were so overwhelmed to witness many souls coming to Jesus, and we give glory to God. The congratulating hymns are floating along the valley. This is the very day that will make God pleased.

We were wondering why evangelism is so active in this remote region?

Firstly, we think, our pastor has passion. He seemed to run crusade ceaselessly.

Secondly, Pastor’s leadership. All elders we have met were so well trained and disciplined that such events as joint divine service by many churches are not that easy in a faraway place, but everything went smooth. Our pastor was not even busy.

Lastly, inhabitants in this part of region are specially blessed by God; they all wanted to believe in Jesus. Not only they just want to continue sanctified living in their own comfort, but they want to be obedient to non-negotiable mandate by Jesus, i.e., preach Gospel to the ends of the earth and to every tribe.

God bless everyone in Muutine/Kangeta, Kenya.

Maha Mission