Isaiah 50

Isaiah describes the Lord’s interview with the feeble remnant by saying that He did not write a certificate of divorce as is outlined in Deuteronomy 24:1. The remnant or bride of God was not divorced. Neither was the sons sold for debt that God had, which was the custom also in the Law of Hammurabi 117-119 in the Ancient Near East. “Behold you [sons and daughters of God] were sold for your iniquities and for your transgressions your mother was sent away” (v. 1). When the Lord came to the remnant Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden to walk and talk with them, “why was there no man when I came? When I called, was there none to answer?” (v. 2a-b). Do they doubt the power of God to deliver and to ransom? (v. 2c-d). Isaiah elaborated on God’s ability and power to dry up the sea and rivers (v. 2e-h). One is almost inclined to sometimes in this chapter seek an application to Christ and His ministry but there are some strong indicators within the verses not to do so. The one who is strengthened in this chapter is a disciple “the Lord has given me the tongue of disciples” (v. 4a). The role of the remnant is to “sustain the weary one with a Word” (v. 4b). Every morning the Lord awakens the member of the remnant “to listen as a disciple” (v. 4d). This member of the remnant “was not disobedient nor did I turn back” (v. 5b-c). This is a victorious believer in the Substitutionary Christ. The Christ in him living thankfully for the Christ for him. Tribulation is the path of the faithful in this hostile world: “I gave My back to those who strike” (v. 6) which may sound to many like Christ in Matthew 26:67, but it is not the case. Paul was also beaten. Help for the suffering servant is coming from the Lord God “the Lord God helps me” (v. 7a). There is victory “and I know that I shall not be ashamed” (v. 7d). God is near when people accuse His apple of His eye, the remnant “He Who vindicates me is near” (v. 8a). “Who has a case against me. Let him [Satan] draw near to me” in the presence of Christ our Advocate in Heaven (v. 8b-d). We know it is not the Messiah since Paul in Romans 8:33 also interpreted verse 9 as the remnant. The ones who will condemn the remnant will “wear out like a garment, the moth will eat them” (v. 9c-d). The servant of the Lord in verse 10 is the faithful remnant as the vehicle of God’s revelation in this hostile world. The one who fears the Lord “obeys the voice of His servant”, the chosen ones to compile the Word of God or God’s Revelation to humanity. The converted ones are those who fear the Lord, obey the Words of His servant[s the prophets] and who use to walk in darkness and not the light (v. 10a-c). They should now trust in His name and “rely on his God” (v. 10d). In Ephesians 5:8 Paul also applied this to the remnant of his generation. A warning is sent out to the evil by Isaiah in the last verse 11. As James applied the verse in James 3:6, their tongues kindle a fire that will burn themselves in Hell and that is what this verse is saying “walk in the light of your fire and among the brands you have set ablaze. . .and you will lie down in torment” (v. 11c-d, f). Some scholars thought that Isaiah 50 contains the 3rd Servant Song but that is not correct. They say the second one is in Isaiah 49 and the first one in Isaiah 42. There are also ones in Isaiah 45:4 and Isaiah 44:21 so that their numbering is not correct. These passages are mostly about the remnant of God who is to fulfill the role for God to spread the gospel in each generation. But the remnant is feeble and blind and deaf and in need of a Messiah Who is Perfect. About the darkness in which the weeds of the remnant will find themselves in Ellen White wrote: “they cannot discern light from heaven, and will be inclined to accept a falsehood. This will affect the whole tenor of their thoughts, their decisions, their propositions, their counsels. The evidences that God has given are no evidence to them, because they have blinded their own eyes by choosing darkness rather than light. Then they will originate something they call light, which the Lord calls the sparks of their own kindling, by which they will direct their steps” (SDABC Vol. 7-A: 1147).

Dear God

We do not want to invent our own revelation when Revelation exists already. Your Word is clear to us that we should obey your prophets and in that we fear the Lord. This is the way we want to walk with You. Amen.

Koot van Wyk, (DLitt et Phil; ThD) Kyungpook National University, Department of Liberal Education, Sangju, South Korea; conjoint lecturer of Avondale College, Australia