Metro-lyrics: ‘Games people play’ (Proverbs of the City)

Koot van wyk (DLitt et Phil; ThD) Visiting Professor, Kyungpook National University, Sangju Campus, South Korea, Conjoint lecturer of Avondale College, Australia.

Many of us grew up with the music of this singer Joseph Souter known as Joe South and especially this song rings a bell in my memory: “Games People Play”.

Online information at the source cited has it that “Joseph Alfred Souter (born February 28, 1940, in Atlanta, Georgia) is a Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter with a distinctive guitar sound.
Joe South had several mega hits in the late 1960s and early 1970s with songs such as "Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home" and "Walk a Mile in My Shoes". His biggest and most-remembered single was "Games People Play" (1969), a Top 10 hit on both sides of the Atlantic, which won the "Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Song" and the prestigious "Grammy Award for Song of the Year", and which bears a striking resemblance to the children's gospel song, "I Don't Want to Be a Pharisee". It was featured on his first album, Introspect.”

Using the words of Hans La Rondelle, “God kan reguit slaat met een kromme Stok” = “God can hit straight with a bended stick” which La Rondelle applied to Billy Graham in 1982 in South Africa, but which is applicable in life. The human instrument of God’s wisdom is coming sometimes from surprising corners.

The Book of Proverbs says that the IQ and EQ of a person belongs to the person himself but that the SQ is very important since it is the interconnection to “fear the Lord” with obedience, submission of the rebellious heart, confidence in the love of God and a love for God as well. The products of such a connection, is the work or actions or products and that belongs to God. He has ownership over our achievements and if it is bad it will be weighed and thrown out and if it is good it will be uplifted and blessed.

Solomon puts it this way: “The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps” (Proverbs 16:9). “Commit your works to the Lord and your plans [IQ and EQ] will be established”. If your SQ (Spiritual) is correct your dreams and visions in the IQ and EQ will also be.

That is where this song of Joe South also makes it contribution.

Lyrics of the Song

Whoa--the games people play now.
Every night and every day now.
Never meanin' what they say now. . [u1] “The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a fleeting                                                                                 vapor the pursuit of death” Proverbs 21:6

Never sayin' what they mean.

While they wile away the hours. [u2] Wasting times. “He who walks in integrity walks securely but he                                                                     who perverts his ways will be found out” (Proverbs 10:9).

in their ivory towers,
'till they're covered-up with flowers
in the back of a black limousine. . [u3] “Come let us drink our fill of love until morning, let us delight                                                                       ourselves with caresses” (the prostitute in the street sneaking                                                                       up to people Proverbs 7:10 “Behold a woman to meet him                                                                           dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart” [bad EQ with no                                                                           SQ] and the above citation in context in Proverbs 7:18.

[Chorus]
La, da, da da, da-da da;
La, da, da da, da-da de...
talkin' 'bout you-n-me
and the games people play--now.

Whoa we make one another cry,
break a heart then we say goodbye; . [u4] Loose relationships. “Hatred stirs up strife” (Proverbs                                                                                  10:12. “

cross our hearts and we hope to die
that the other was to blame.

But neither one will ever give-in,
so we gaze at an eight-by-ten
thinkin' 'bout the things that might have been
and it's a dirty rotten shame.

[Chorus]
La, da, da da, da-da da;
talkin' 'bout you-n-me

People walkin'-up to ya,
singin' glory hallelujah
'n' they're tryin' ta sock it to ya,
in the name of the Lord. . [u5] Solomon said that the Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the                                                                     righteous runs into it and is safe. Proverbs 18:10. Quick religion is                                                                 quick losing religion. It has to be a lasting event and only through                                                                 enduring bible study and a continuing lifestyle can the relationship with                                                         the Lord grow and be maintained.

They're gonna teach you how to meditate,
read your horoscope, cheat your fate.
And furthermore to Hell with hate. [u6] “He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty and he                                                                            who rules his spirit [SQ with the relationship of the Holy                                                                              Spirit and with Christ] than he who captures a city”                                                                                      (Proverbs 16:32).

Come-on and get-on board.

[Chorus]
La, da, da da, da-da da;
talkin' 'bout you-n-me

Look-around tell me what you see. . [u7] “Death and life are in the power of the tongue. And those                                                                            who love it will eat its fruit” (Proverbs 18:21).

What's a-happenin' to you and me?
God grant me the serenity
to jus' remember who I am. . [u8] “Wisdom is in the presence of the one who has                                                                         understanding” Proverbs 17:24.

'cause you've given-up your sanity. [u9] “The highway of the upright is to depart from evil, he                                                                who watches his way preserves his life” Proverbs                                                                        16:17.

for your pride and your vanity,
turn your back on humanity;
Oh and you don't give a da da da da da.

[Chorus]
La, da, da da, da-da da;
talkin' 'bout you-n-me brother

[Chorus]
La, da, da da, da-da da;
talkin' 'bout you-n-me

This song by Joe South is not worship to God but an appeal to humanity to turn around and give God a chance to provide serenity (SQ) to come into a better EQ with humanity. This is no plea for the song to be sung in a worship or church but it is meant for those who spent their times on the streets of the urban concretes and stations hearing the song in supermarkets and elsewhere in the workplace. Solomon had the same ideas and appeals to us. We are reminded by Edward Heppenstall in Christ our High Priest chapter 12 "Emotional ecstasy is too often the refuge of sluggish minds. It makes thinking unneccessary. It unites everbody by turning out the lights. It permits hazy thinking on Bible truths".

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znh58WITU8

Dear God

Give me also daily the serenity to love more than be loved and to share rather than focus on gain to respect rather than to be honored and finally, guide me completely in Your Way. Amen.

“The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor the pursuit of death” Proverbs 21:6

Wasting times. “He who walks in integrity walks securely but he who perverts his ways will be found out” (Proverbs 10:9).

“Come let us drink our fill of love until morning, let us delight ourselves with caresses” (the prostitute in the street sneaking up to people Proverbs 7:10 “Behold a woman to meet him dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart” [bad EQ with no SQ] and the above citation in context in Proverbs 7:18.

Loose relationships. “Hatred stirs up strife” (Proverbs 10:12. “

Solomon said that the Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous runs into it and is safe. Proverbs 18:10. Quick religion is quick losing religion. It has to be a lasting event and only through enduring bible study and a continuing lifestyle can the relationship with the Lord grow and be maintained.

“He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty and he who rules his spirit [SQ with the relationship of the Holy Spirit and with Christ] than he who captures a city” (Proverbs 16:32).

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue. And those who love it will eat its fruit” (Proverbs 18:21).

“Wisdom is in the presence of the one who has understanding” Proverbs 17:24.

“The highway of the upright is to depart from evil, he who watches his way preserves his life” Proverbs 16:17.