Isaiah 54

Isaiah describes in this chapter the role of the accumulated new remnant at the Latter Rain added to the regular remnant through all the generations. The “barren one” is probably the non-remnant ones that will be saved at the Latter Rain event and “you have not born [someone]” (v. 1). The saved ones at that time will “break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud” (v. 1b). “For many are the sons of the desolate one [those who never had a chance to grow in the gospel and evangelize]. They are more than the sons of the married one, the regular remnant who is the Bride of Christ through all the ages (v. 1d). This addition group to the longtime remnant must enlarge their tent (v. 2a-3a) since “your seed shall possess nations”, they will come from many nations (v. 3b) and what is desolate cities on a desolate earth after the Hell event, after the Millennium will be recreated as a new earth for them to live in. They do not need to fear or feel humiliated or disgraced “the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more”. The phrase “no more” put it in the Eschaton. Also Paul understood this passage to be the New Jerusalem in Heaven in Galatians 4:27. This “barren one” husband is the Lord of Hosts (v. 5a). He is the Redeemer, the Holy One of [spiritual] Israel (v. 5c). He will also be called the “God of all the earth” (5d). “For a brief moment I [the Lord] forsook you but with great compassion I will gather you” (v. 7a-b). The Latter Rain is a gathering of the harvest of the Lord in the end-time and Joel also outlined that as well as other prophets. Isaiah recorded God’s word by using a poetic phrase which rhymes “In the reception [Egyptian šsp meaning receive] of anger [from the not yet remnant ones] I [God] hid My face from you” (v. 8a-b). God’s compassion and everlasting lovingkindness made Him to have compassion over them (v. 8d). We know it is the end of time for Christ said that just as it was in the days of Noah before the Flood so shall it be in the end time. God said in Isaiah 54:9 “for this is like the days of Noah to Me”. There will be a shaking of mountains in the eschaton but “My covenant of peace will not be shaken” (v. 10c). Both the regular remnant and the joined remnant will be afflicted “o afflicted one, storm tossed and not comforted” (v. 11a). In the Time of Jacob’s Trouble God will have “compassion on you” (v. 8c). Then follows a description of the New Jerusalem build by God for the remnant saved at the Second Coming of Christ “your foundations I will lay in sapphires” (v. 11c); “your gates of crystal” (v. 12b); “your entire wall of precious stones” (v. 12c). The saints have beautiful apartments and houses in the New Jerusalem which cannot be compared to present earthly conditions. The Lord will be their teacher (v. 13a) and their “well-being of your sons will be great” (v. 13b). God says to the remnant that they will be established “in righteousness” (v. 14a). “Your will be far from oppression for you will not fear” (v. 14b) meaning that safely in the New Jerusalem after the Second Coming the remnant is safe. “From terror for it will not come near you” (v. 14c). Verse 15 cancels any form of antagonism from an enemy. The Lord is the creator just like a iron smith who blows the fire of coals to make a weapon is a creator and the Lord has originally created Lucifer who became Satan “the destroyer” but God planned his “ruin” (v. 16c). During the Time of Trouble “no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper” (v. 17b). Every accusation against a remnant member in earthly courts of law will be judged during the millennium by the remnant in heaven reopening the books to verify why certain people were not saved “every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn” (v. 17b). God says that this safety and these beautiful apartments in the New Jerusalem is the “heritage of the servants of the Lord” (v. 17c). Their vindication is from the Lord (v. 17d).

Dear God

Enlarging your remnant in the End Time is the constant yearning of the present remnant. Come quickly Lord Holy Spirit to gather them in globally and prepare the remnant for the arrival of Christ at the Second Coming. Amen.

Koot van Wyk, (DLitt et Phil; ThD) Kyungpook National University, Department of Liberal Education, Sangju, South Korea; conjoint lecturer of Avondale College, Australia