Isaiah 55

Isaiah described in this panel the Word of God, its importance, its extent, its necessity, its success, its effectiveness. This hostile world is separated from God “for as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts” (v. 9a-c). For this reason, with such a gap between sinful humanity and the Righteous God “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways” (v. 8a-b). That is why humans suffer spiritual thirst and hunger and God says they need to “come to the waters” (v. 1a) and “come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost” (v. 1c-d). They are spending money on non-essentials, fashion, cars, digital devices and smartphones, but it cannot satisfy spiritually. God wants them to “listen carefully to Me” the spoken Word (v. 2c). If they listen, they will “delight yourselves in abundance” (v. 2d). They need to come to God “listen [to the spoken Word] that you may live” (v. 3b). If they do, the Lord will “make an everlasting covenant with you” which compares to the faithful mercies shown to David (v. 3c-d). The one who listens to the Word of God, receives salvation when he/she inclines the ear, “I have made him[her] a witness to the peoples” (v. 4a). Global evangelism is the keyword here. “Behold you will call a nation you do not know and a nation which knows you not will run to you” (v. 5a-b). This will happen because of the “Lord your God even the Holy One of [spiritual] Israel” (v. 5c). He “has glorified you”. While we are this side of the Latter Rain of Worldwide evangelistic success and before the Time of Trouble and Second Coming, “seek the Lord while He may be found” (v. 6a). The wicked should forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts. When the sinner return to the Lord “He will have compassion on him and to our God [which is Christ the Advocate, Who is also God, Who’s request on behalf of the sinner’s plea for forgiveness] for He will abundantly pardon” (v. 7c-f). The Word of God is necessary in all of this because God is on High separated from sin and Christ is that Word that brings sinful man in touch with a sinless God. The effectiveness of this Word is described like rain falling from heaven on earth and making things grow supplying seed and bread to humanity (v. 10) so also the Word of God that “goes out from My mouth” (v. 11a), shall not return to Me empty “without accomplishing what I desire” (v. 11c). God can already see the success and effectiveness of His Word. It will succeed “and without succeeding for which I sent it” (v. 11d). Then Isaiah opened the panel of the Resurrection event and says “for you will go out [of the graves] with joy and be led forth with peace” (v. 12a-b). The mountains and the hills will echo with the joy of the resurrected remnant (v. 12c). All the trees of the [after a thousand years] will clap their hands (v. 12d). We know it is after the Hell event for the re-creation of this earth and its heaven will only occur at that time “instead of a thorn bush the cypress will come up” (v. 13a). Instead of the nettle the myrtle. This new earth and new heavens will be “a memorial to the Lord” and it will be an “everlasting sign which will not be cut off” (v. 13d). All the unfallen worlds will know this new earth and its inhabitants forever since this great history included the Son of God, the Creator, in its drama.  

Dear God

Thanks for the intercession of the living Word of God on our behalf. Gratitude to You for giving us the Word of God on paper and in Text to supply us with the conceptual Image of Your Son and our Savior. Amen.

Koot van Wyk, (DLitt et Phil; ThD) Kyungpook National University, Department of Liberal Education, Sangju, South Korea; conjoint lecturer of Avondale College, Australia