everlasting-gospels.gif

Victory At Minneapolis On The Authority Issue

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

September 10-Victory At Minneapolis On The Authority Issue

guide_img.gif

line.gif

[All Scripture] is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do. 2 Tim. 3:17, NLT.

Quite a number of the ministers took to heart Ellen White's plea at Minneapolis for personal Bible study. "Many go from this meeting." W. C. White wrote on November 2, 1888, "determined to study the Bible as never before, and this will result in clearer preaching."

R. DeWitt Hottel jotted down in his diary that one of his first activities after returning home from Minneapolis "was reading in Brother Butler's book on Galatians and also Bro. Waggoner's reply. Also read in the Bible." Hottel was apparently testing the conclusions of both men by the scriptures.

Another success story was that of J. O. Corliss, who had been examining God's Word with gratifying results. "I never had such floods of light in the same length of time," he declared, "and the truth never looked so good to me as it does now. All alone by myself, I have studied the subjects of the covenants, and the law in Galatians. I came to my conclusions without consulting any one but the Lord and His Holy Word. I think now that I have the matter straight in my mind, and I can see the beauty and harmony of the Dr's [Waggoner's] position on the Galatians law."

Apparently not everyone had turned out Ellen White at Minneapolis. During the 1889 General Conference session she could write that she was "thankful to see with our ministering brethern a disposition to search the scriptures for themselves"(MS 10, 1889).

During the early 1890s the General Conference sponsored annual schools for the ministers as a respose to the call at Minneapolis for the Adventist clergy to become better with the Bible. The domineering G. I. Butler was on longer president of the General Conference, and O. A. Olson's administration did what it could to enable the denomination's ministers to become better students of Scripture.

GIven the importance of the Bible, one of the wonders of the twenty-first-century church is that we don't spen more time with it. Most of us pass more time before the TV than before an open Bible.

Today is the day to change that pattern.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

TODAY is the day.

line.gif