November 15, 2008 (SAT)

Saturday, November 15, 2008

I fell down at [the angel's feet to worship him. But he said to me, "See that you don't! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers whohave the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! FOr the testimony of Jesus is The Spirit Of Prophecy." Rev. 19:10

The presence of a living prophet marked the early decades of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Early Adventists believed that the visions and tesimonies of Ellen G. White resulted from a direct connection with God. From 1844 to 1915 her books  articles, sermons, and private letters provided a constant stream of insight into how God viewed the developing movement. They dealt with living, everyday questions. The denomination located and built institutions on her recommendations. Also she both confirmed and at times denied the various results of Adventist Bible study.

The presence of a living prophet was challenging, but it also provided great security. Through interaction with the prophet, Adventist leaders could have a strong sense of God's direct guidance in the many difficulties the fledgling movement faced. They could solve theological and political issues with her prophetic guidance. Those fully committed to Ellen White's authority had a sense of certainty that few obtain in this life.

But in 1915 Ellen White died, stilling the living voice. No longer could the church address the problems of the moment with direct and specific guidance from God. While members could consult her voluminous writings, people could easily dispute their applicability to specific issues. A church accustomed to the living voice of God now had to struggle with the writings of a dead prophet-but it is the reality that most Christians have to cope with.

By 1919 the issue of what to do with a dead prophet was a serious issue for the young movement. So its leaders convened a Bible and history teachers' council. From July 30 through August 1,1919, all seemed to agree that it required much care and common sense to interpret her writings correctly. But in the aftermath of the council, a couple of those present began to spread the word that key Adventist leaders had abandoned true faith in the prophet. The death of a prophet can leave believers with more questions than answers.

How do you draw living lessons from the writings of a dead prophet? To rightly handle those of a dead prophet such as the apostle John, you have to take seriously the time, place, and the circumstances that led to the document in the first place. The writings of even dead prophets are always wrothy of our time and of our careful attention.

Lord, thank You for giving me a desire to know Your will and Your ways. I choose to invest serious time in Your Word this week.

Through the apostle Paul, Christ bids us, "Let your speech be alway with grace." "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Colossians 4:6; Ephesians 4:29. In the light of these scriptures the words of Christ upon the mount are seen to condemn jesting, trifling, and unchaste conversation. They require that our words should be not only truthful, but pure(TFMB 69).