everlasting-gospels.gif
letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

August 12 - Meet Uriah Smith Again

guide_img.gif

line.gif

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Matt. 11:29.

By 1888 Uriah Smith, Butler's accomplice in power, had been secretary of the General Conference for all but three years since its beginning in 1863. Beyond that, Smith had been associated with Adventism's semiofficial periodical (the Review and Herald) since the 1850s, and by 1888 he had served for nearly 25 years as its editor-in-chief.

In addition, he was the denomination's unrivaled authority on prophetic interpretation. His Thoughts on Daniel and the Revelation was an Adventist bestseller among both church members and nonmembers alike. One of the Minneapolis-St. Paul newspapers noted in announcing his arrival for the 1888 meetings that "Elder Uriah Smith. . .has the reputation of being one of the ablest writers and speakers in the conference, and is, moreover, a profound scholar."

Like Butler, Smith viewed himself as a guardian of denominational orthodoxy. He succinctly stated his editorial policy in regard to some of the new ideas of A. T. Jones in 1892: "Having by long study, and years of observation in the work, become settled on certain principles, I am not prepared to flop over at the Jones and Waggoner's "new theology" in 1888. Neither Smith nor Butler had hte slightest inclination to "flop over" in the face of the teachings of the younger men from California. In fact, the exact opposite proved to be the case.

As we have noted, certain characteristics of Jones and Waggoner didn't help matters. Ellen White wrote a letter to them in early 1887 that sought to tone down their aggressiveness. "Elder [J. H.] Waggoner," she said, "has loved discussions and contention. I fear that E. J. [Waggoner] has cultivated a love for the same. We need now good humble religion. E. J. W. needs humility, meekness, and Brother Jones can be a power for good if he will constantly cultivate practical godliness"(Lt 37, 1887).

Don't we all need humility? It is one thing to sing for the Lord to make us humble and meek. But it is quite another to accept the gift. 

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

Lord, help us.

line.gif