everlasting-gospels.gif

Spreading The Word On Health-2

letter-text.gif
line.gif
guide_img.gif

June 14 - Spreading The Word On Health-2

guide_img.gif

line.gif

I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Ps. 42:11.

The denomination didn't waste any time getting out the Health Reformer. The first issue appeared in August 1866, three months after the General Conference session.

That initial issue had articles from a bevy of ministers, Dr. Lay, and one from Ellen White. She urged that "men and women should inform themselves in regard to the philosophy of health," and concluded by stating that "ignorance upon this important subject is sin; the light is now bearing upon us, and we are without excuse if we do not cherish the light and become intelligent in regard to these things, which it is our highest earthly interest to understand"(HR, Aug. 1866).

With so many ministers writing for the periodical, Lay in the second issue wrote a note for the benefit of those who might think that "nobody can talk on health but an M.D., and nobody on theology but a D.D" He pointed out that many of his nonmedical contributors had experienced health reform in the practical realm and all of the articles had been "examined professionally and endorsed before they are laid before the reader."

The testimonials to transformed health were many. G. W. Amadon, for example, reported that "every day my heart dilates with joy as I realize the belssings of the Health Question, as lived out by its sincere converts. . .As an individual, I can say that I am a hundredfold better off than when I was living in such gross violation of the laws of our beings. Today, instead of aches and rheums, with congested brain, and a numerous train of mental and bodily ailments, I am to a great extent, entirely free. Blessed be God for all this!"

Isaac Sanborn observed that because of health reform "I am entirely well of that rheumatism, which I used to have so bad by spells that I could not walk a step for days" and that even though he often was in poor weather and in ill-ventilated speaking venues that exposed him to disease he had not had a bad cold for more than two years.

Then there was the tidbit from one individual that "if he were to offer a burnt offering to the devil, he should choose a pig stuffed with tobacco."

Our hearts should dilate with joy when we consider the alternatives to good health. It is all too easy to forget the days of ignorance and the heartfelt blessing of good health.

line.gif
guide_img_bottom.gif guide_img_bottom.gif

The word of God often comes in collision with man's hereditary and cultivated traits of character and his habits of life. But the good-ground hearer, in receiving the word, accepts all its conditions and requirements. His habits, customs, and practices are brought into submission to God's word. In his view the commands of finite, erring man sink into insignificance beside the word of the infinite God. With the whole heart, with undivided purpose, he is seeking the life eternal, and at the cost of loss, persecution, or death itself, he will obey the truth(COL 60).

line.gif