November 16, 2008 (SUN)

Sunday, November 16, 2008

And I saw heaven standing open, and I observed a white horse, and The One Sitting On It Is Called Faithful And True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and upon His head are many crowns, having a name written which no one knows except Him. He was dressed in  garment that had been dipped in blood, and His Name Was Called "The Word of God." And The Armies Of Heaven Were Fowllowing Him on white horses, dressed in fine linen, briliant and pure. Rev. 19:11-14.

Kobe Bryant was born to greatness. His father had played in the National Basketball Association, the world's most respected professional league. From childhodd on Kobe had been groomed to follow in his father's footsteps. The ability to dunk, shoot, and dribble was in his genes.

After a spectacular high school carrer (named national Player of the Year in his senior year) he entered the NBA at the age of 18, the youngest player ever to get into a game. At the age of 20 he was a starter on one of the best teams in the world, the Los Angeles Lakers, and made the All-Star team. By the age of 22, when most players are just entering the league as rookies, Kobe Bryant was unquestionably one of the best players in the world.

A handsome man, rich and famous, he could have lived the swinging life of an alpha male in a world that idolizes talent, wealth, and fame. Instead, in his early 20s he married the beautiful Vanessa Laine and became a family man, much to the disappointment of thousands of young women, to whom he was a hero. He also became  a hero to many young men in the ghetto, who dreamed of a day when  they could be like him.

Then tragedy struck. In early July 2003 he was staying at a resort hotel in Eagle, Colorado. He met a 19-year-old concierge in the lobby of the hotel, and she visited his room. No one but the two of them knows what happened next. She accuses him of rape, while he says what occurred took place with her consent. As I write, the painful round of charge and countercharge has been making its way through the courts. His wife and teammates have so far stood behind his story.

Whether or not Bryant was guilty of crime, the anguish on his face, and that of his wife, as he admitted infidelity on national television was painful to watch. It was a reminder to all that life has only one Hero that we can honor without conditions-Jesus Christ. The minute we place others on a pedestal, or even try to climb on one ourselves, we invite failure. The one called The Word of God, who is always faithful and true, is the only hero truly worth following.

Lord, I need human mentors and guides, but I pray that I will place my ultimate trust only in You. I pray also that my daily actions might be an encouragement and not a disappointment to any who choose to look up to me.

Those who have learned of Christ will "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness." Ephesians 5:11. In speech, as in life, they will be simple, straightforward, and true; for they are preparing for the fellowship of those holy ones in whose mouth "was found no guile." Revelation 14:5(TFMB 69).